Eccentrics for physio...SSC or regular progressions?

Started by Longshanks, June 4, 2010 · 10 Replies · 3,681 Views

Longshanks

I've recently started slow eccentrics as supposed to the strictly isometrics I used to use and found suprisingly noticable results in the last couple of weeks in conjunction with heat treatment. My question is this, do you stay on the same progression for a full 8 weeks or do you progress when you can do say 5secs 5*5 without any pain in the joints? Maybe once every couple of weeks?

The most reputable scientific journal I read on the matter (also with the best results) suggested progressing whenever it wasn't painful and even suggested doing 10*5sec negatives (3 sets) every day which seems like a hell of a lot. They even did a follow up study where they did this twice a day for even faster results. So far I've only been doing 3 days a week like a workout, because the volume just seems like loads compared to the static stuff I've been doing (150s of negatives compared to 30-40s statics).

Longshanks

No-ones tried slow negatives for HeSPU's or Pistols? Did you SSC or use regular progressions?

Coach Sommer
Longshanks said:
Did you SSC or use regular progressions?

My recommendation is SSC.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Rafael David

I use PTT format of Pavel Tsatsouline, it worked very well for me...

Longshanks

What does PTT stand for?

Joshua Naterman

That's a tough call, but I'd go at least 2-3 weeks before progressing, and you need to keep your progressions under 5% additional load. Ideally you'd do 2-3%.

I definitely think that a SSC approach is safer, especially considering your difficulty with physio so far.

Longshanks
slizzardman said:
That's a tough call, but I'd go at least 2-3 weeks before progressing, and you need to keep your progressions under 5% additional load. Ideally you'd do 2-3%.

I definitely think that a SSC approach is safer, especially considering your difficulty with physio so far.

Will do cheers. I've spent a couple of weeks starting at zero resistance with Lateral raises (which target my main problem area well) and just building up in tiny increments. I think I've found a good intensity that actually work the muscles now without causing any flare-ups. I'll stick to this for a month with the lower intensity stuff I'm doing and leave the higher intensity stuff like negative levers for a full 8 weeks.

With how good the results have been so far with just doing negatives its making me seriously consider this as a permanent training principal, since I only started BW training to strengthen my joints and just make them resistant to injury for MMA realy. Thats not to say it wouldnt be cool as hell to be able to pull off a lever or planche hold but my priorities will always put fighting first.

Joshua Naterman

Just keep in mind that your body will get used to the negatives in two months at the absolute most, and as you get stronger you'll adapt more quickly, so you will need to alternate between training modalities on some kind of minicycle basis at some point.

Longshanks
slizzardman said:
Just keep in mind that your body will get used to the negatives in two months at the absolute most, and as you get stronger you'll adapt more quickly, so you will need to alternate between training modalities on some kind of minicycle basis at some point.

I'll bear that in mind once injuries have been 100% pain free for a month or two. Are the mini-cycles what you mentioned in the earlier post of about 2-3weeks?

Joshua Naterman

Pretty much. At first adaptation will take longer, but if you train consistently enough you get to the point where you need to change the workout every time you go to the gym. That's part of why the GB WOD cycle works so well.

In your case, you really have to go slow. You will get to where you can strength train the rotators, but not anytime soon! Definitely let how your injuries feel be your guide to when it is ok to progress. As you say, at least a month with no pain should be experienced before you move up the intensity. Maybe/probably more. I'd definitely phase in light concentrics with the eccentrics after a month of no pain, and take that second month to build up to doing the concentrics with each eccentric. Maybe take longer if you're doing very high reps.

braindx

The time under tension is not a lot when you're considering that you're using MUCH lighter than maximal weights and basically retraining the muscle/tendon complex to fire correctly and modulating blood blood flow to the area.

Eccentrics are pretty much THE thing for chronic overuse injuries. The only real effective treatment. Massage/etc tends to be a bit variable on if it helps or not.