This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Assisted Negative MU / Muscle engagement

Started by Awais Muzaffar, December 5, 2020 · 11 Replies · 200 Views

Awais Muzaffar

Hey guys, I'm really unsure about what muscles to engage in the bottom of dip to transition phase.

1. Bottom of the dip - When ready to move to the transition, do I squeeze my lats and depress my scapulae?

2. Start of the transition phase - My understanding is to lean back and lower the elbows. But which muscles should be feeling engaged? When I try to lean back, I feel "stuck" and I'm just hanging there struggling, so I have to fall back.

Should I feel this very intensly in the elbows? It could be I lack the required strength in the elbows.

Here is my video

Awais Muzaffar

I believe my cues were wrong. This is now a video of a fully assisted one. As the rings get closer to my shoulders, I need to turn them inwards and drop with control. Is there anything else you guys can see wrong?

My elbows and triceps feel the burn and my forearms have a slight ache. Explains why the explosive bar muscle-ups always gave me pain. I have a weakness that was never addressed. Rather I used momentum to get around the bar.

PS: I wish I knew about GB and it's principles before, it would have saved me from so much pain and frustration. Lesson learned; Humble myself, and stick to the progressions!

Alessandro Mainente
20 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

I believe my cues were wrong. This is now a video of a fully assisted one. As the rings get closer to my shoulders, I need to turn them inwards and drop with control. Is there anything else you guys can see wrong?

My elbows and triceps feel the burn and my forearms have a slight ache. Explains why the explosive bar muscle-ups always gave me pain. I have a weakness that was never addressed. Rather I used momentum to get around the bar.

PS: I wish I knew about GB and it's principles before, it would have saved me from so much pain and frustration. Lesson learned; Humble myself, and stick to the progressions!

Hi Awais, triceps, and lats prevent the body from collapsing through the transition. Mastering Russian dip variation before approaching this is imperative. Notas a case completing foundations 2 is highly reccommended.

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks. As per your reply, I have decided to leave this alone for now and stick to foundation 2. In particular I can see the HBP has russian dips and various ring dips, plus RC has the various ring pull-ups.

Casually looking at videos of people doing ring muscle-ups on youtube, has shown that people can learn the movement but without the required preparation and conditioning work they just end up looking shaky and sloppy and risk over-stressing. I don't want that.

If anything I'd rather jus stick to the false grip hangs and support holds for now (5 sets of 60 seconds is serious conditioning!).

Awais Muzaffar

Okay so after months of hard work with F2 in RC and HBP.  I can now do negatives on the rings with control (infact I managed to do a very shaky slow bar muscle up) so there is no doubt these progressions work.

However before I even consider doing regular muscle-ups, it would be good to get your criticism on the negatives; 3 sets of 2 reps for now:

Set 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vjk__L_aYA
Set 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p57QUn5Ws-o

Thank you!

Awais

Alessandro Mainente
19 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Okay so after months of hard work with F2 in RC and HBP.  I can now do negatives on the rings with control (infact I managed to do a very shaky slow bar muscle up) so there is no doubt these progressions work.

However before I even consider doing regular muscle-ups, it would be good to get your criticism on the negatives; 3 sets of 2 reps for now:

Set 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vjk__L_aYA
Set 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p57QUn5Ws-o

Thank you!

Awais

hey Awais, as you finish the transition move the rings and the pinkies closer to the sternum because this is the correct movement trajectory.

Awais Muzaffar

Hey! The ring were a bit more infront today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFvX4UM3JbI (10 second mark, it's a bit more infront of chest?)

Actually if I'm honest, I'm not 100% sure about the movement. Is there an example video I can follow? The official series video shows a wide version (which I understand is the long term goal).

Thank you as always.

Alessandro Mainente
20 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hey! The ring were a bit more infront today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFvX4UM3JbI (10 second mark, it's a bit more infront of chest?)

Actually if I'm honest, I'm not 100% sure about the movement. Is there an example video I can follow? The official series video shows a wide version (which I understand is the long term goal).

Thank you as always.

Your execution is now correct..or it seems...from the side. movement of elbows is better.

Awais Muzaffar

Oh that’s good to hear thanks!

Awais Muzaffar

Hello! So I've started exploring the concentric phase of the MU, while I'm also working on russian dips.

For now doing this with a band so I can focus on the form aspect.

I think it was ok: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w99HvbhOrEs

I didn't like my head looking so down in the lean - should I try to look more upright? And any other issues you can see?

Thank you!

 

Alessandro Mainente
On 6/10/2021 at 5:17 PM, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hello! So I've started exploring the concentric phase of the MU, while I'm also working on russian dips.

For now doing this with a band so I can focus on the form aspect.

I think it was ok: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w99HvbhOrEs

I didn't like my head looking so down in the lean - should I try to look more upright? And any other issues you can see?

Thank you!

 

Hey Awais, alway check it also from the front...

Awais Muzaffar

Yeah after experiencing imbalances with bulgarian pull up - even more important to check that view :)

Thanks!