Hey guys, was hoping to get some advice/inspiration/help on compliance issues in nutrition. I used to be really good at only eating outside of paleo parameters once a week. Now I have a much harder time staying paleo 6 out of 7 days, in fact this week 6 meals already have been non-paleo grain based or fast food. I go to eat my salad and grass fed beef at lunch at can't do it and then end up eating across the street at a cafe. My willpower has been extremely low and I'm not sure how to get out of my funk. I know so much about nutrition, I've read thousands of studies, books, blogs, etc. and know exactly what the consequences of shitty eating (inflammation, oxidation, cellular damage, decreased performance, etc.) are, and the benefits of eating paleo are, and yet there seems to be a breakdown between what i know i should be doing and what i am doing. Even crazier than that is I DESIRE to go back to eating well 90% of the time and only having bad foods on rare occasions, but I can't seem to do it. Any advice would be great.
Compliance Issues
Started by Jay Guindon, June 4, 2010 · 5 Replies · 2,767 Views
JUST DO IT
Jay, is there any internal stress in your life right now that you are dealing with? Being broke, relationship issues, crummy job, etc?
Ido posted this essay before and I'll post it again.
http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Articles ... spx?ID=161
Don't get down on yourself about non-compliance. If you think you're restricting your food choices you will feel deprived and will most likely end up eating something you "shouldn't"
I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I do. I went to a coworkers farewell party at work the other day and they were having Panda Express and cake. Its amazing how many people kept offering me food. Its like they feel bad about eating it and somehow they will feel less guilty if everyone around them is eating it too. It was kind of scary how pushy people were being trying to get me to eat. I told them I was going home to have dinner with my wife(which was true). I remember some term for that they taught in one of my courses at college, it was referencing war crimes though. Now obviously it was also partly good intentions, wanting to share enjoyment etc... but you can't tell me thats all it is. So even though I kind of went off on a tangent my point is that I wasn't resisting temptation, I wasn't tempted. I love my body, my athletic endeavors, my health more than I love Panda Express and cake.
Could it be that your current diet doesn't meet your nutritional or caloric needs? I doubt that this is a willpower thing. That is, I am willing to bet that you are committed to eating well and understand why eating healthy food is important. However, your body may not be getting what it needs, and cravings begin.
Blairbob - I do stress about money a lot.
Wolf with One Ear - Yes this is a possibility, I probably could benefit from eating more than I do.
Brendan - Great article! Thanks!