This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Can't keep ankles together in elevated seiza

Started by Craig jones 372779, November 21, 2020 · 3 Replies · 126 Views

Craig jones 372779

I'm really finding it hard to keep my ankles together in the elevated seiza exercise on the front split stretching sequence. To the point where it feels like I am not getting much benefit out of the exercise as as soon as I sit back on the block (Which is when the stretch on the front of the ankle starts) my ankles come apart. 

I've tried using my hands to hold my ankles when I sit back, but this almost feels bad and like I will probably be compensating somewhere else (Like my knees). 

Is this a common problem and does anyone have any tips on how to carry out this exercise with this limitation?

 

Thanks

Craig 

Alessandro Mainente
On 11/21/2020 at 5:36 PM, Craig jones 372779 said:

I'm really finding it hard to keep my ankles together in the elevated seiza exercise on the front split stretching sequence. To the point where it feels like I am not getting much benefit out of the exercise as as soon as I sit back on the block (Which is when the stretch on the front of the ankle starts) my ankles come apart. 

I've tried using my hands to hold my ankles when I sit back, but this almost feels bad and like I will probably be compensating somewhere else (Like my knees). 

Is this a common problem and does anyone have any tips on how to carry out this exercise with this limitation?

 

Thanks

Craig 

Hi Craig, yes is extremely common because in the days you tend to hold the dorsiflexion muscles are always shortened and when you sit on your heels the common compensation in case of these shortened muscles is having the heels outside...simply stop when you feel that the heels are dropping to the side,

Christopher Pearl

Same problem here.  I find it difficult to see how I will ever be able to keep my heals together in seiza.  Currently I'm putting a block or pillow under me to keep elevated above the point that my heals collapse apart.  Is this the correct approach and will this improve in time?  Any other exercises or stretches that would help?  

Thanks

 Chris

Alessandro Mainente

Using an "elevated position"  approach is ok plus holding something strongly between your heels ì!! and as you move lower...focus on not losing what you are holding between your heels.