This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Recommended Progression into new exercises

Started by Francisco Quintana, November 12, 2020 · 3 Replies · 126 Views

Francisco Quintana

Hi, 

I don’t know if this has been covered before but couldn’t find any post that referenced it. 

After years of training, climbing, and doing various sports and activities I decided that I needed a more methodical approach to my fitness, so I joined GB. The initial quiz suggested I start in Foundations 2, but I decided it was better to start in Foundations 1 to address any and all weaknesses, and then, when I was sure I was ready, I could upgrade.

I have been doing the program for some weeks now and time has proved me partially right, as there are some exercises that are a real challenge (eg. Ground Rows, surprisingly, I was not used to the workload when pulling), while others (mostly core strength, but also pushing strength to an extent) are much easier to progress through.

This brings me to my question, as I have found that in those specific areas that are not especially challenging yet I can progress much faster than what the schedule would indicate and are unsure on what to do.

Real example: Upper Body A. Decided to start in A3 (Pseudo Planche Pushups), as the normal pushups were absolutely no challenge. I completed A3 relatively easily (I had already done some work with them and high reps) and proceeded to A4 (Bench Dip). I found the Bench Dips (and paired mobility) relatively easy as well, to the extent that I could “fast-forward” and complete the step 9 reps without much trouble. Should I be advancing like this, until I hit an exercise/mobility where I really need to do it progressively? Or should I do every step of every exercise regardless of how easy it might be?

On the same subject, when progressing to a new exercise, is it mandatory to start in step 1? Supposing you can already comfortably complete, say, step 5. 

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente
8 hours ago, Francisco Quintana said:

Hi, 

I don’t know if this has been covered before but couldn’t find any post that referenced it. 

After years of training, climbing, and doing various sports and activities I decided that I needed a more methodical approach to my fitness, so I joined GB. The initial quiz suggested I start in Foundations 2, but I decided it was better to start in Foundations 1 to address any and all weaknesses, and then, when I was sure I was ready, I could upgrade.

I have been doing the program for some weeks now and time has proved me partially right, as there are some exercises that are a real challenge (eg. Ground Rows, surprisingly, I was not used to the workload when pulling), while others (mostly core strength, but also pushing strength to an extent) are much easier to progress through.

This brings me to my question, as I have found that in those specific areas that are not especially challenging yet I can progress much faster than what the schedule would indicate and are unsure on what to do.

Real example: Upper Body A. Decided to start in A3 (Pseudo Planche Pushups), as the normal pushups were absolutely no challenge. I completed A3 relatively easily (I had already done some work with them and high reps) and proceeded to A4 (Bench Dip). I found the Bench Dips (and paired mobility) relatively easy as well, to the extent that I could “fast-forward” and complete the step 9 reps without much trouble. Should I be advancing like this, until I hit an exercise/mobility where I really need to do it progressively? Or should I do every step of every exercise regardless of how easy it might be?

On the same subject, when progressing to a new exercise, is it mandatory to start in step 1? Supposing you can already comfortably complete, say, step 5. 

Thanks!

Hi Francesco, well in your case you should go for this strategy:

- there is no necessity to hold different elements completely paired. it's quite normal having differences;

- For the elements that you consider "easy" if you can do the mastery (e.g. 5x15 rep of normal pushup) i suggest you to post your form of the 15 reps. why do i suggest this? because after many years coaching on GST i have coached personally with 20+ pullup with the wrong activation, a person with 50 dips completely asymmetrical, people with straddle planche with partial shoulder depression.

For me, it was a clear sign that the methodology followed by them is the perfect result of their results and that their self-evaluation wasn't enough qualified.

Josh Schmitter

Agree with Alessandro on the posting videos of mastery.

That said, unless I'm mistaken, you can start on any of the cycles within the template. I.e. if you are comfortable starting on week 5 or week 9 and your form has been checked over/reviewed by all means.

My first post in years. I'll see ya in late 2023.

Francisco Quintana

Great! Thanks to both. Will definitively be posting videos for mastery before advancing further. 

Have a great day!