This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

A9 Hawiiaan Squat + mobility

Started by Vanessa Hunt, November 9, 2020 · 16 Replies · 120 Views

Vanessa Hunt

Hi coaches just starting this progression.

My left ankle is frustrating me so much with anterior impingement not allowing to attain same depth as right leg. There is no pain just blockage at front  of ankle that won't shift. Ive seen physio, chiro, oesteo done countless ankle mobility drills/stretching plus GB exercises and it feels the same.  

Surgery to scrape is a possible option but not that keen. How to progress here if depth on left leg can't be attained??  

Please if you have any advice I would welcome it.

 

Alessandro Mainente
4 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:

Hi coaches just starting this progression.

My left ankle is frustrating me so much with anterior impingement not allowing to attain same depth as right leg. There is no pain just blockage at front  of ankle that won't shift. Ive seen physio, chiro, oesteo done countless ankle mobility drills/stretching plus GB exercises and it feels the same.  

Surgery to scrape is a possible option but not that keen. How to progress here if depth on left leg can't be attained??  

Please if you have any advice I would welcome it.

 

Hey Vanessa..there is not too much you can do. i have horrible ankle mobility that can not be recovered. not a case it is always suggested to improve and maintain ankle mobility since we are children. my suggestion is holding a weight in front of you with an extended elbow so that it can counterbalance the lack of ankle mobility. For the IM notice that at ht top of the reps the hips are a bit piked...the movement comprises 2 range of motion: hips extension WHILE you bend the knees.

Vanessa Hunt

Thanks Alessandro I will try the counterbalance approach for ankle.  I see the hip pike and will work to maintain extension.

Vanessa Hunt

Hi I've reduced reps and slowed this down to improve form? How is it looking?

 

Alessandro Mainente
3 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:

Hi I've reduced reps and slowed this down to improve form? How is it looking?

 

Hey Vanessa, the hips extension can be improved...notice the difference before the knees flexion and after....thre is still be a little of hips flexion.

Vanessa Hunt

Hello coaches just revisiting this movement this week for feedback. What I've tried to focus on strongly holding a posterior pelvic tilt as I noticed it was really pushing into my lower back if I didnt and in doing so if it has also assisted with less hip flexion during movement? 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Awesome improvement!

Vanessa Hunt

Hi coaches

I'm using a counter balance for my left leg as suggested. It helps to improve depth. Given the the lack of ongoing mobility in the left ankle is this enough for mastery and to move on? 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente
23 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:

Hi coaches

I'm using a counter balance for my left leg as suggested. It helps to improve depth. Given the the lack of ongoing mobility in the left ankle is this enough for mastery and to move on? 

 

 

Hey vanessa, can I see the execution with a front view?

Vanessa Hunt

Front view, thank you

 

 

Alessandro Mainente
7 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:

Front view, thank you

 

 

Think always about pushing the knee outer so that the medial and little glutes are strongly engaged.

Vanessa Hunt

Just checking which knee? The crossed leg or the one I'm bending?

Thanks

Alessandro Mainente
21 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:

Just checking which knee? The crossed leg or the one I'm bending?

Thanks

Obviously the working leg.

Vanessa Hunt

Obviously not always obvious :)

Vanessa Hunt

Hi coaches

I'm focusing on pushing the working knee out to engage glutes - how is it looking to move to next progression?

 

Alessandro Mainente
7 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:

Hi coaches

I'm focusing on pushing the working knee out to engage glutes - how is it looking to move to next progression?

 

Nicely done.

Vanessa Hunt

Thanks Alessandro.

I'd like to ask before moving to the next progression Static single leg squat SLS SE2-  is it acceptable to place a wedge under the left foot (ankle with anterior impingement) to allow for full ROM along with use of weight to counter balance?