This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Programming Question

Started by Callum Muntz, October 7, 2020 · 8 Replies · 376 Views

Callum Muntz

G'day everyone,

Can I get some opinion on the following program? I need to keep my conditioning for work (and follow the Tactical Barbell programming idea), and would like to focus on progressing Foundation 1/2 and my Handstands. I own all the Foundation Courses, HS 1&2, Tumbling 1, and all the Stretch Series. I don't have enough energy or time in the week to tackle it all with enough vigour to make improvement, hence why I'd just like to focus on F1/2 and a bit of HS at the moment.

 

Any assistance in assessing volume/frequency/intensity would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

 

Mon - Conditioning (Hill Sprints)

Tue - Foundation Upper: Rope Climb (Ground Rows, Weighted Pull Ups), Hollow Back Press (Ring Pushups), Straddle Planche (Single Arm Plank, Planche Leans).

Wed - Conditioning (General conditioning circuit)

Thu - Foundation Upper: Rope Climb (Ground Rows, Elevated Rows), Hollow Back Press (Psuedo Planche Pushups, Russian Dips), Straddle Planche (Planche Leans) progressions.

Fri - Endurance (Rucking/pack marching or an LSS)

Sat - Foundation Core and HS1: Side Lever (1/2 windshield wipers), Manna (V-Ups, Half Hanging Leg Lifts, Negative Hanging Leg Lifts), Front Lever (Hollow Body Hold & Rocks) & Handstand progressions

Sun - Full recovery and/or Stretching/Mobility

Alessandro Mainente
12 hours ago, Callum Muntz said:

G'day everyone,

Can I get some opinion on the following program? I need to keep my conditioning for work (and follow the Tactical Barbell programming idea), and would like to focus on progressing Foundation 1/2 and my Handstands. I own all the Foundation Courses, HS 1&2, Tumbling 1, and all the Stretch Series. I don't have enough energy or time in the week to tackle it all with enough vigour to make improvement, hence why I'd just like to focus on F1/2 and a bit of HS at the moment.

 

Any assistance in assessing volume/frequency/intensity would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

 

Mon - Conditioning (Hill Sprints)

Tue - Foundation Upper: Rope Climb (Ground Rows, Weighted Pull Ups), Hollow Back Press (Ring Pushups), Straddle Planche (Single Arm Plank, Planche Leans).

Wed - Conditioning (General conditioning circuit)

Thu - Foundation Upper: Rope Climb (Ground Rows, Elevated Rows), Hollow Back Press (Psuedo Planche Pushups, Russian Dips), Straddle Planche (Planche Leans) progressions.

Fri - Endurance (Rucking/pack marching or an LSS)

Sat - Foundation Core and HS1: Side Lever (1/2 windshield wipers), Manna (V-Ups, Half Hanging Leg Lifts, Negative Hanging Leg Lifts), Front Lever (Hollow Body Hold & Rocks) & Handstand progressions

Sun - Full recovery and/or Stretching/Mobility

HI Callum, well 2 consecutive days of the upper body is more detrimental at this level than productive. separating them with core and HS1 is better.

Second thing i do not understand some exercises you are doing:

-weighted pullup is not in the foundation's program;

-rings pushup are not in the foundation's program;

-for many progression you are doing more exercises, like the front lever, like the manna etc. in the training session, only one exercise at a time should be done for every progression. for example for front lever there is no necessity to do the rocks if you cannot perform the mastery of the basic static corresponding position. the same is valid for the other progression, like planche, or manna, rope climbing etc.

Callum Muntz
On 10/8/2020 at 9:19 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Callum, well 2 consecutive days of the upper body is more detrimental at this level than productive. separating them with core and HS1 is better.

Second thing i do not understand some exercises you are doing:

-weighted pullup is not in the foundation's program;

-rings pushup are not in the foundation's program;

-for many progression you are doing more exercises, like the front lever, like the manna etc. in the training session, only one exercise at a time should be done for every progression. for example for front lever there is no necessity to do the rocks if you cannot perform the mastery of the basic static corresponding position. the same is valid for the other progression, like planche, or manna, rope climbing etc.

G'day Alessandro, thank you for your response.

I'll break my response into two parts for ease of understanding.

The schedule

- I only placed the two upper body days near each other because I have access to parallel bars at work (Mon-Fri), and I have Stall Bars at home which is why my Saturday session is Core.

- I see two options here. I could do the upper body sessions on Monday and Thursday, which separates them by 72 hours, or I could just do a single upper body session per week and use the other time for more mobility work. My instinct prefers two sessions per week, because I know from my training history I respond better to a little higher volume. But my instinct is fallible like everyone else's. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

The exercises

- Weighted pull ups have been a part of my other training, alongside a lot of barbell training, for my work based physical training. I enjoy them, and find them very beneficial for my back strength, hence why they remain in my program. I do them either among my GST work, or afterwards.

- Similarly, I do a lot of push-ups for my work based physical training. I started doing them on rings out of interest and to increase the intensity. I normally do these first, partly as a warm-up.

- I was doing more GST exercises from the progressions to keep many of the old ones 'in the routine'. I can easily remove them with no concerns.

- Behind all of this, I am often required to do Barbell training for work. I strive to do my GST first, so my energy is best directed towards it. This is something I cannot help, but don't see it as an issue provided my focus and energy remains directed at prioritising GST. 

Alessandro Mainente
10 hours ago, Callum Muntz said:

G'day Alessandro, thank you for your response.

I'll break my response into two parts for ease of understanding.

The schedule

- I only placed the two upper body days near each other because I have access to parallel bars at work (Mon-Fri), and I have Stall Bars at home which is why my Saturday session is Core.

- I see two options here. I could do the upper body sessions on Monday and Thursday, which separates them by 72 hours, or I could just do a single upper body session per week and use the other time for more mobility work. My instinct prefers two sessions per week, because I know from my training history I respond better to a little higher volume. But my instinct is fallible like everyone else's. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

The exercises

- Weighted pull ups have been a part of my other training, alongside a lot of barbell training, for my work based physical training. I enjoy them, and find them very beneficial for my back strength, hence why they remain in my program. I do them either among my GST work, or afterwards.

- Similarly, I do a lot of push-ups for my work based physical training. I started doing them on rings out of interest and to increase the intensity. I normally do these first, partly as a warm-up.

- I was doing more GST exercises from the progressions to keep many of the old ones 'in the routine'. I can easily remove them with no concerns.

- Behind all of this, I am often required to do Barbell training for work. I strive to do my GST first, so my energy is best directed towards it. This is something I cannot help, but don't see it as an issue provided my focus and energy remains directed at prioritising GST. 

Well rather than remove old exercise...you can keep them in the warmup!

Callum Muntz
12 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Well rather than remove old exercise...you can keep them in the warmup!

Done mate. Any thoughts on a 72h gap being better suited to rolling two upper body sessions? 

Alessandro Mainente

Well, it depends on the session. for example, some of my strongest clients are used to train some specific elements 4 times in a week...2 sessions are together..then separated from another 2. If the intensity of the first session is particularly high probably 72 hours are necessary.

Coach Sommer
15 hours ago, Callum Muntz said:

Done mate. Any thoughts on a 72h gap being better suited to rolling two upper body sessions? 

Completely dependent upon the inherent recovery ability, age and how advanced the athlete in question is.  Some athletes thrive on strength training often, while others perform much better with more recovery between hard strength sessions.  As a general rule, most of the US Senior National Team members have found they perform best with 3-4 day in between HARD ring strength sessions.

Allan’s ring strength did not really stabilize until he stopped doing high intensity ring strength as often as the lighter athletes.  This is in direct contrast to the UK athletes who do ring strength nearly every day, but they are much lighter than Allan.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

Callum Muntz

Thanks Coach. Much appreciated. 

Alessandro Mainente
On 10/14/2020 at 5:06 PM, Coach Sommer said:

Completely dependent upon the inherent recovery ability, age and how advanced the athlete in question is.  Some athletes thrive on strength training often, while others perform much better with more recovery between hard strength sessions.  As a general rule, most of the US Senior National Team members have found they perform best with 3-4 day in between HARD ring strength sessions.

Allan’s ring strength did not really stabilize until he stopped doing high intensity ring strength as often as the lighter athletes.  This is in direct contrast to the UK athletes who do ring strength nearly every day, but they are much lighter than Allan.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

Also, the 1992-2000 Italian national team athletes were used to do rings training every day. no more than 3-4 sets for a single exercise.