This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Fundamentals Tips

Started by Joe 381145, October 5, 2020 · 4 Replies · 136 Views

Joe 381145

I just enrolled in the program and I'm anxious to get going. 

Based on the questionnaire, it was determined I have good strength but poor core and mobility (I knew mobility was lacking).

So, I'm starting the Fundamentals. I do have nagging pains in my left shoulder, right pec, and especially right elbow. 

 

Should I stop all other workouts? I do practice krav maga twice a week, which can be very demanding on your body. If necessary, I can scale some things back to allow recovery. 

 

Also, how often should I do the rehab series, or should I even worry about them at this stage?

 

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente
15 hours ago, Joe Cox said:

I just enrolled in the program and I'm anxious to get going. 

Based on the questionnaire, it was determined I have good strength but poor core and mobility (I knew mobility was lacking).

So, I'm starting the Fundamentals. I do have nagging pains in my left shoulder, right pec, and especially right elbow. 

 

Should I stop all other workouts? I do practice krav maga twice a week, which can be very demanding on your body. If necessary, I can scale some things back to allow recovery. 

 

Also, how often should I do the rehab series, or should I even worry about them at this stage?

 

Thanks!

Hey Joe, welcome to GB, i have a necessary question for you. are the naggins pain due to krav maga? when did you start to feel pain? did you have a PT consult in order to understand the nature and origins of pain?

Joe Cox

No, not from krav maga. It started about 4 years ago when pull starting a moter on a piece of machinery. The rope kicked back, straining my elbow. But, I was able to rehab it by scaling back my workouts. I don't lift weights, so I went all the way back to doing pushups against the wall, rows standing next to a pole, etc. It started flaring up again about a year ago when, after being pain free for a couple years, I began to push myself harder.

I really started working the pullups HARD, and even began trying to progress through one arm pushups (starting incline on a counter; the closest I got was an archer pushup from my knees with support hand on a med ball).

The shoulder and pec started when I was pushing myself through a burpee routine. I'd do up to 216 three days a week. I thought that was pretty good for a 44 year old. Till it was hard to take my shirt off! So, I think it's definitely from overuse. 

I can't remember the last time I've been to a doctor of any kind. In fact, I've only been maybe 2 or 3 times in my life.

Joe Cox

I was already thinking my injuries are from excessive hard use. In listening to some of Coach Sommer's interviews and reading through some of the forums, I'm now convinced of it. 

I have always had the idea that the B&D method (balls and determination) is the only way to succeed. I'm learning otherwise. 

So, I've already decided to stop all other training, except for krav maga. I'm convinced the strength and mobility I will achieve through GB will carry over and give me the advantage. 

I will resist the urge to push too fast. I'll just patiently follow the program set up by people more knowledgeable than I am about it. 

My goals...to be be most athletic version of myself I can be. I want to be doing an iron cross in my 70s and 80s when most people that age can't put their shoes on by themselves. 

Basically, I need to train my mind to be smarter about how I train my body. Then the rest should be easy in comparison. 

Alessandro Mainente
11 hours ago, Joe Cox said:

I was already thinking my injuries are from excessive hard use. In listening to some of Coach Sommer's interviews and reading through some of the forums, I'm now convinced of it. 

I have always had the idea that the B&D method (balls and determination) is the only way to succeed. I'm learning otherwise. 

So, I've already decided to stop all other training, except for krav maga. I'm convinced the strength and mobility I will achieve through GB will carry over and give me the advantage. 

I will resist the urge to push too fast. I'll just patiently follow the program set up by people more knowledgeable than I am about it. 

My goals...to be be most athletic version of myself I can be. I want to be doing an iron cross in my 70s and 80s when most people that age can't put their shoes on by themselves. 

Basically, I need to train my mind to be smarter about how I train my body. Then the rest should be easy in comparison. 

Hi Joe I understand BUT keep in mind that training with pain can be a problem because if you know how to overcome or work around problems is ok..if not is better to solving injuries first.