I want to be proactive not inactive

Started by Kyle Courville, June 1, 2010 · 5 Replies · 2,715 Views

Kyle Courville

I would like to know a good source to find info on strengthening rotator and scapula muscles. I have several books with a rotator cuff series(mostly baseball), but they don't address many things. The books I have say don't use more than 5 lbs, but Slizzardman and Ido recommend going heavier if possible. I also don't know exactly what impingement is; I searched forever on the internet and the most I find are vague descriptions of muscles being pinched.

After seeing three people at my small school and my brother walking around with knee injuries(3 torn ACLs and 1 torn meniscus? ) this year, I would also appreciate info on preventing these crippling knee injuries. I am 15, and I don't have much money at the moment so please only recommend books that are thorough. I currently want to be a physical therapist so I need to know this stuff.

Amebix138

I think that the best protection from knee problems is full ROM barbell squats with good form.

Animalonfire

http://idoportal.blogspot.com/2009/07/s ... ences.html

http://idoportal.blogspot.com/2009/07/p ... ining.html

http://idoportal.blogspot.com/2009/07/f ... ber-1.html

Ido also made a thread on some Kung fu joint prep that had some knee exercises in it (this forum).

<5lb is preseumably for rehabilitation AFTER having been injured, when more would simple damage the area more. Ido, slizzardman etc would be using more for PREhab to make their shoulders bulletproof to prevent future injuries, not concerned about making injuries worse because there aren't any to make worse. Basically the prevention is easier/better than the cure(despite being pretty dull).

Edit: "Squeezing" the floor in a straddle split is pretty good prehab for knee's/hips also. Basically an iron cross with the legs (can also be done on rings).

Kyle Courville

Thanks I'll add these pronto, and I'll definitely visit Ido's site more. Does anybody have recommendations for a book/books that address imbalances and joint preparation? Yes, I'll still buy liquid steel™ when it comes, but I have no idea when it's coming. I would like to educate myself in the meantime. I don't mind reading really advanced text. I just want to have thorough knowledge of the subject.

Cole Dano

If your looking to be a PT how's your anatomy? Do you have a good anatomy book or two?

I'd recommend Anatomy and Human Movement by Palastanga, Field, Soames

and Gray's Anatomy for Students and the Atlas.

These are fairly standard textbooks and if your looking to get a leg up thats a good way to go.The first is movement based anatomy but it covers everything, the illustrations leave allot to the imagination though so you'll need a good Atlas as well. I like Grays but there are lots out there. A search on Amazon will bring up a host of books.

Is there any one at your school you can talk to? PE instructor maybe who can help steer you in the right direction? Its always amazing when a student really expresses and interest how much help can be found in your own community. The more you are able to get involved the more adults around you who have knowledge will be able to help.

Kyle Courville

Thanks a lot for the recommendations.I am preparing for being a PT by taking an advanced placement biology next year,and my senior year I'll take a sports medicine and an emergency responder class(first aid). I am not completely sure I want to be a PT, but I definitely want to work in the exercise, health, or rehabilitation field. I hope to make a career choice by my senior year. Still have lots to learn, and this forum really helps me learn a lot.