This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Standing shoulder extension

Started by Iain McLean, September 23, 2020 · 6 Replies · 61 Views

Iain McLean

I’ve been at this exercise for so damn long.  Lots of work to be done.  I am very tight in this range and notice some asymmetry.  I’m working with the thoracic stretch series also and always working shoulder extension in my warm ups.  Any other tips?

 

MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ

I have spent also quite a big ammount of time here, and I think what was holding me back was my desk job. I saw this post where you can find some fast mobility routines to do through the day, I feel I am progressing faster now: 

Iain McLean
5 hours ago, MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ said:

I have spent also quite a big ammount of time here, and I think what was holding me back was my desk job. I saw this post where you can find some fast mobility routines to do through the day, I feel I am progressing faster now: 

Great suggestion Mario.  It definitely can’t hurt to throw in some extra mobility into my day. I’m going to start implementing some of these limbers.

James O'Boyle

@Iain McLean  I was stuck there for a while as well.  Definitely lose the weight and widen your grip until you can get your arms parallel with the floor in extension.  Get confident there, and then slowly narrow the grip.  Then once you've reached a shoulder width grip, add weight and widen the grip again.

Todd Sprenkle

A question maybe for a coach:  If one has achieved mastery of standing shoulder extension, does it follow that you should then be able to do the following movement?

"Start by standing with arms straight in front of you and parallel to the ground, hands touching with palms facing the ground. Then keeping the body upright and the arms parallel to the ground, slowly move the arms out to the sides and continuing around until the hands touch in back of you."

Iain McLean
7 hours ago, James O'Boyle said:

@Iain McLean  I was stuck there for a while as well.  Definitely lose the weight and widen your grip until you can get your arms parallel with the floor in extension.  Get confident there, and then slowly narrow the grip.  Then once you've reached a shoulder width grip, add weight and widen the grip again.

Thanks for the tip James.  I tried the exercise today without any weight and a wider grip so I could get to horizontal..... wow what a stretch I got in some of my pec muscles.

James O'Boyle

@Iain McLean  Nice!  That tightness is part of what opens up to free the shoulder extension.