For my 69-th birthday last week I took stock of where I got with last year’s playing around with simple gymnastic strength exercises, so I can set some goals for next year. I did get coach Sommer’s book and plan to follow his recommended cycles and progressions. I plan to post some video clips to show progress and to get some advice. Of course, I am counting on some curiosity from your side about what gains are possible at my age with a not-so-responsive neuromuscular system and a fading hormonal plant. In fact, I more than share that curiosity. Posting here will help motivate me and keep me focused. Here is a video of my current level. I have tried to keep it as short as possible by not showing complete cycles, but it is still about 4 minutes. So, please try to ignore my washer and drier; the nice piece of abstract art behind me on the PPP clips at the end is a papua war shield from New Guinea.
Obviously, my skills are all pretty rough around the edges, but there is a lot of good intent. And most importantly, it brings me good health, joy and happiness. You will notice that my pulling strength is way ahead of my overhead pushing strength (rock climbing is to blame). On a good day I can do a towel pull-up with 40 kg extra but I can not do even a single HeSPU. Also, lack of flexibility is a severely limiting factor. Coordinating my upper and lower body (as needed for a press to HS) is also quite a challenge.
My overall goal is gains in flexibility, OH pushing strength, overall shoulder girdle strength, balance, coordination and control. Goals for this coming year are:
Much improved passive and active flexibility.
30 second L-sit with feet hip high.
Straddle L-sit hold.
3 free HS push ups.
L-sit to HS on PB.
FL straddle pull-ups set of 5.
BL 10 second hold.
Wall assisted pseudo planche pushups.
Tucked planche hold 15 seconds.
IC with straight arms at 140 degrees.
I found a recommendation on this board for doing cuban presses to strengthen the rotator cuff and have started to incorporate those. They seem to help, even if it is a little early to really tell.
Generally, I start and finish with stretching, and do one set of a pulling exercise and then one set of a pushing exercise; never to exhaustion (except when doing negatives). I pick the skill level so I can just do 3-7 repetitions. I try to do at least 5 sets. I alternate 2 hard and 1 easy day; 1 or 2 rest days a week. A session will typically last 2 hours or more, including enough rest (1-2 min.s) between sets.
Any suggestions are appreciated. My main question (and focus) right now is how to further strengthen that part of my shoulder girdle that I need to do HSPU’s and a tucked planche hold. My stats are 6’1â€, 76-77 kg.