This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Complete beginner - form check & question about ape

Started by Demet Dagdelen, September 12, 2020 · 1 Replies · 74 Views

Demet Dagdelen

Hi all, I am very unfit, very unflexible, have never really worked out before. Just got started on Day 1 of the fundamentals and while the crab went okay, I went 8 meters (but not with perfect form as my hips would always dip and I think my shoulders aren't where they are supposed to be) but when it comes to ape, I can't keep both my butt low and my arms straight. I didn't use to be able to do deep squats with both soles on the ground - now I can but I can't straighten my back or I lose my balance. I can feel that this is very challenging for me and I am not doing it right but would like to understand what this means in terms of my weaknesses and what I can do to help?

The goal is to do 3 sets of 8 meters here, right? I am pretty sure I won't be able to do that with ape even with imperfect form as I barely could do 2 meters - should I just keep practicing until I can or move on regardless?

 

Crab: is this more or less okay?Ape when not trying to flex my arms in frontApe with arms straightened

 

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, Demet Dagdelen said:

Hi all, I am very unfit, very unflexible, have never really worked out before. Just got started on Day 1 of the fundamentals and while the crab went okay, I went 8 meters (but not with perfect form as my hips would always dip and I think my shoulders aren't where they are supposed to be) but when it comes to ape, I can't keep both my butt low and my arms straight. I didn't use to be able to do deep squats with both soles on the ground - now I can but I can't straighten my back or I lose my balance. I can feel that this is very challenging for me and I am not doing it right but would like to understand what this means in terms of my weaknesses and what I can do to help?

The goal is to do 3 sets of 8 meters here, right? I am pretty sure I won't be able to do that with ape even with imperfect form as I barely could do 2 meters - should I just keep practicing until I can or move on regardless?

 

Crab: is this more or less okay?Ape when not trying to flex my arms in frontApe with arms straightened

 

Hey Demet, the ability to hold both the heels on the ground with feet together depends on the ankles' mobility. After many many many years without improving it is very hard to fix the deficit, so the solution that you have is trying to improve the hips mobility and flex the upper body between the hips. For what concerned with the meters, stay with less distance until you can improve the form...then build up some more meters.