This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jefferson curl replacement

Started by Bipin Chandran, September 7, 2020 · 9 Replies · 109 Views

Bipin Chandran

Hi all ,

Is there an another mobility exercise I could do in stead of the Jefferson curl , which is the mobility counterpart for the straddle tuck up . I have some lumbar spine issues , which flared up after I did the Jefferson curl ( even without weights ) .Hence I am a bit uncomfortable doing it in the future .

Thanks in advance 

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, Bipin Chandran said:

Hi all ,

Is there an another mobility exercise I could do in stead of the Jefferson curl , which is the mobility counterpart for the straddle tuck up . I have some lumbar spine issues , which flared up after I did the Jefferson curl ( even without weights ) .Hence I am a bit uncomfortable doing it in the future .

Thanks in advance 

HI BIpin, probably the best answer should be done by a therapist who can assess your situation personally. 

Bipin Chandran

Hi Alessandro , 

 

 Thanks for the reply . Any other mobility exercise I can substitute it with ?

Alessandro Mainente
21 hours ago, Bipin Chandran said:

Hi Alessandro , 

 

 Thanks for the reply . Any other mobility exercise I can substitute it with ?

The problem is that every exercise that is similar requires a certain amount of spine flexion and in the case of a herniated disc sometimes occurs without pain sometimes can aggravate it. For this reason, you need an appropriate consult.

Johannes Walser

Hey,

i can tell you about my experience, since i got a disc problabs in my lower spine.

I do JC's as long as it s not painfull. My therapist told me, its oaky, if i feel fine. However, since i had pain the last 3 month i had to stop them. What i do now is, i avoid forward flexion, untill die pain is gone and do back bends instead. 

Bipin Chandran

Thank you Alessandro and Johannes .

I did consult my doctor before I started JC , and his advice was pretty much the same, as in  be careful , listen to your body and stop if there is pain .

I did try it once more, just to make sure it wasnt a psychological block , and there was/is discomfort . 

So what would be the course of action now, do I not do the mobility for that exercise or do I do the mobility of the prior exercise( still legged windmill) or the one after?

Do correct me if I am wrong, the focus here is on increasing hamstring flexibility right ?

Again thank you both for your help.

Alessandro Mainente
On 9/9/2020 at 3:27 PM, Bipin Chandran said:

Thank you Alessandro and Johannes .

I did consult my doctor before I started JC , and his advice was pretty much the same, as in  be careful , listen to your body and stop if there is pain .

I did try it once more, just to make sure it wasnt a psychological block , and there was/is discomfort . 

So what would be the course of action now, do I not do the mobility for that exercise or do I do the mobility of the prior exercise( still legged windmill) or the one after?

Do correct me if I am wrong, the focus here is on increasing hamstring flexibility right ?

Again thank you both for your help.

HI Bipin, nope. the primary goal of the JC is increasing the posterior chain strength during the uncurling movement of the JC. You can hold the windmill and then we can see how it goes the progress over the more advanced exercises for the posterior chain.

Bipin Chandran
On 9/10/2020 at 9:51 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Bipin, nope. the primary goal of the JC is increasing the posterior chain strength during the uncurling movement of the JC. You can hold the windmill and then we can see how it goes the progress over the more advanced exercises for the posterior chain.

Hi Alessandro , 

Thank you very much for clarifying that .I will focus on the windmill for now .

I do have one more query , for the straddle tuck up , my knees does not fully straighten , and I do feel tightness in the thighs .Is this due to tightness of the quadriceps or something else ? How can I rectify it ?

Thanks in advance .

Alessandro Mainente
19 minutes ago, Bipin Chandran said:

Hi Alessandro , 

Thank you very much for clarifying that .I will focus on the windmill for now .

I do have one more query , for the straddle tuck up , my knees does not fully straighten , and I do feel tightness in the thighs .Is this due to tightness of the quadriceps or something else ? How can I rectify it ?

Thanks in advance .

If the quads are too weak to overcome the passive tension then you cannot lock out the knees. so basically you need more flexible posterior chain. you are welcome to post your range of motion of IM1 8windmill) in order to see if it is enough.

Bipin Chandran
On 9/12/2020 at 10:18 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

If the quads are too weak to overcome the passive tension then you cannot lock out the knees. so basically you need more flexible posterior chain. you are welcome to post your range of motion of IM1 8windmill) in order to see if it is enough.

Thank you Alessandro