This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

High reps #@$$&#!

Started by James Strack, August 25, 2020 · 13 Replies · 377 Views

James Strack

LoL

Wow I wish I had trained high reps in the past.  Although probably wouldn't help with protracted pushups when not used to that.  Been stuck A2 4 sets of 12 pushups for a month now.  Seeing small progress by adding burn out sets and adding seated dips but never thought pushups of all exercises would be a wall I'd hit. 

Actually it's not the reps rather the protraction at the top and the speed they do them at with no rest.   I got the strength to do them if I took a rest before that final set but I figured if I can't keep up with their tempo at 12 reps going to 15 before than would be a nightmare. 

Johannes Walser

hehe one month is nothing.. i think i did that for 6 motnh... lol i am doing pe3 for ages tough ^^

MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ

Started this progressiom back in 2019 and im almost at 4x15 reps with 1 minute rest between reps now. Many years of doing push ups with wrong form to fix.

Patient is the key in GMB, you wont regret ;)

James O'Boyle

Yeah, I've been working on HBP PE2 for about a year.  I've been up and down through the steps multiple times focusing on quality.  I've squeaked out 4x15 before, but it's ugly. My push-ups keep getting better and better over time, and I'm currently working on 4x12 which feels legitimately easy until the last 3 reps of the 4th set.  Once I can do the whole 4x12 with solid form without breaking a sweat, I'll progress.

James Strack

Yeah, I find myself wishing the mobility was 10 reps instead of 5 for more rest in between the push ups.  It's like they say 5 for the mobility count, and the video is suddenly with Orench on the ground in position to say let's start.  LoL.

On a positive note though, I'm down to 185 pounds.  Started program at 204 pounds.  My desire to progress is increasing my will power to pass up a dessert or whatever family/friends try to offer for snacks or what not.  So aside from my ego being bruised that I can't master a push ups event in what I consider a reasonable time frame; progress is progress.  Especially when I'm not getting injuries.

Reilly Herbst

Hey James, 

I spent 11 months on pushups, be patient and don't focus on getting to the next progression as quickly as possible. Instead try to get everything you can out of the pushups, make sure your form is rock solid. If you move on to soon you will never be able to master pseudo planche pushups. I have been working on pseudo planche pushups for 3 months and I'm only moving to 4x6 reps. It takes time so enjoy you workouts.

James Strack

So while I'm enjoying my pushups phase...  How is my form looking? 

 

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, James Strack said:

So while I'm enjoying my pushups phase...  How is my form looking? 

 

HI James, at this stage and level of technical execution you do not need to focus on high reps yet. you must stay on the range of 3 reps and focus more on body alignment:

-no lower back arch

-more rounded upper back at the top

-more hips extension.

And activations in the top position of the shoulders:

-more depression (shoulders away from the ears)

-more protraction.

James Strack

 I'm going to have to really unpack this and see if I can improve it.  Looks like I don't have a ppt in general.  I got confused along the way looking at other people's form checks where you said they were too far up with the back in the air.  Here 

 

James Strack

Hopefully this is better at least ppt in place? 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente
8 hours ago, James Strack said:

Hopefully this is better at least ppt in place? 

 

 

Once your elbows are extended the movement continues ina scapular pushup until you feel the sternum in and the upper back rounding. Can you show please the first element of the planche progression?

James Strack

Is this the 1st element u were talking about? 

I'm one of the guys coach talks about I guess.  Did thousands of Pushups in life in military and sports so let my ego skip to Pushups step after foundations. 

James Strack

Thought these were really good but watching I can't seem to get rid of my back arch. 

https://youtu.be/Ral4s5Yu_eE

Jeffrey Bittner

Spending some more time practicing your scap shrugs will help. Keep trying to maximize both protraction and retraction while keeping your head in a neutral position and your elbows locked.