HLL question

Started by viking, May 31, 2010 · 7 Replies · 3,475 Views

viking

Hi folks :)

I've been doing HLL the V to L progression.

The stallbars I'm practicing on is mountet relatively close to the wall. (some of them are mountet on some kind of spacers, extending them further from the wall). So At the top of the motion my ankles never touch the bar I'm holding, because my feet are stopped by the wall before they reach the bar.

My dense reasoning deducted that it was because of my length (I'm 6'2). But thinkning about it again I realized the faulty logic.

Now I'm wondering wether my execution is completely wrong. I'm stiff as a board, and I can't touch with my ankles on the bar I'm holding. If the wall didn't stop my feet I would be touching with my chins.

Anyone have any opinion on wether or not my way of executing makes it easier or not?? (compared to the proper way to do it (the proper way being touching the ankles)).

It's kind of a stupid question - my lack of flexibilty prevents me from executing the progression correctly anyway - but it just irritates the hell out of me..

Blairbob

A picture or video will help.

In the V-hang, we want as much pike compression as possible. However, many gymnasts and enthusiasts don't have great pike flexibility. Such is life.

viking

Hi Blairbob

Thank you so much for replying! Yeah reading my post I realized that words didn't convey what I wanted. Unfortunately I don't have anything to record with. Pictures is difficult, because I always train alone.

But you answered my question. More pike compression is better, so I guess I'm doing the "easier" verison.

The reason I was in doubt was the russian HLL shown in a sticky on this forum. It's listed as a harder version. One of the main differences between russian HLL and regular HLL is how high you lift your hips.

I figured hitting my chins and not my ankles implied that I lifted my hips further than regular HLL called for. But I do not lift my hips nearly as much as what your supposed to in the russian HLL. I guess my execution just falls in between the two. becoming easier rather then harder.

As far as the Pike flexibility goes, I do notice some progress from the active stretching that the HLL gives. Hopefully that progress will continue with time

Thank you again for answering Blairbob!

Coach Sommer

208gsUy9S-c

viking said:
... The reason I was in doubt was the russian HLL shown in a sticky on this forum. It's listed as a harder version. One of the main differences between russian HLL and regular HLL is how high you lift your hips ...

It is important to note that this increase in hip elevation occurs AFTER the toes have already touched the bar during the normal HLL portion of the Russian Leg Lift.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Rafael David
Blairbob said:
A picture or video will help.

In the V-hang, we want as much pike compression as possible. However, many gymnasts and enthusiasts don't have great pike flexibility. Such is life.

Coach, weighted pike stretch helps it?

viking

Thank you for pointing that out Coach. I especially noticed you said toes. And that he did touch with his toes in the video.

In the book it looks like alot of times your athletes are touching with their ankles. (could be a "optical illusion") It seems to me that the difference could be crucial strength wise?

Reason I ask is because I actually managed to hit my ankles on the bar doing HLL L to V yesterday. I was really happy about that.

Is it just a matter of flexibility or are there strength gains to be found in hitting the toes compared to the ankles..

Coach Sommer
viking said:
Is it just a matter of flexibility or are there strength gains to be found in hitting the toes compared to the ankles..

It is never "just a matter of flexibility".

Optimum ROM through active flexibility work is critical to athletic performance and the pike stretch is the MOST important of all stretches. It involves the entire posterior side of the body from head to toe (to engage the calves simply flex the feet hard during the stretch) and will very quickly illustrate where potential problem areas lie.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

viking

I walked right into that one :oops:

Point well taken !!

Thank you for taking the time to answer Coach!