This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Number of reps needed for progress

Started by Anja Seefeldt, August 18, 2020 · 4 Replies · 167 Views

Anja Seefeldt

Hi,

I do apologize if the question has been asked before. The search either gave no results or 10.000 depending on the key words.

I´m 8 weeks into the Intro programm now and really like it. At 48 years most of my joints are more or less compromised. So starting slowly is fine by me. On the other hand to build up strengh only the last reps count. So if one stops too early there is no progress.

I wonder if there is a general „tell“ that you reached the point between the reps that only maintain your current level and those that makes you stronger. I ask because the Elements lower body # 2 in week 6 had only my abdominal muscles work hard with no side effects but the number of reps in last weeks #3 made my knees ache during the exercises so that I stopped. I didn´t injure myself but I had to be cautious to put as less strain as possible on the knees during the following days until they felt normal again. So for this week I plan to do only #1 (and a half). Obviously I have to go slower than the schedule proposes. If I would know where the point is between the number of reps for maintainance and progress (as mentioned above) I could do a tiny bit more than that number and make a bit of progress while reducing the risk of hurting myself. So is there a general „tell“ that is applicable to all exercises? TIA, Anja

Alessandro Mainente
21 hours ago, Anja Seefeldt said:

Hi,

I do apologize if the question has been asked before. The search either gave no results or 10.000 depending on the key words.

I´m 8 weeks into the Intro programm now and really like it. At 48 years most of my joints are more or less compromised. So starting slowly is fine by me. On the other hand to build up strengh only the last reps count. So if one stops too early there is no progress.

I wonder if there is a general „tell“ that you reached the point between the reps that only maintain your current level and those that makes you stronger. I ask because the Elements lower body # 2 in week 6 had only my abdominal muscles work hard with no side effects but the number of reps in last weeks #3 made my knees ache during the exercises so that I stopped. I didn´t injure myself but I had to be cautious to put as less strain as possible on the knees during the following days until they felt normal again. So for this week I plan to do only #1 (and a half). Obviously I have to go slower than the schedule proposes. If I would know where the point is between the number of reps for maintainance and progress (as mentioned above) I could do a tiny bit more than that number and make a bit of progress while reducing the risk of hurting myself. So is there a general „tell“ that is applicable to all exercises? TIA, Anja

Hi Anja, well i would consider the problem from another point of view...are you sure that the exercise wasn't too intense for you?

Anja Seefeldt

Hi Alessandro,

obviously that had been the case. But although I admit to adding things like the prehab series or beginner warm up to the schedule Elements 1 including the progression from #1 to #3 was part of the schedule of the Intro plan. Since in the weeks before the proposed schedule worked fine for me I didn´t doubt the tempo of the progression. Being smarter now I not only exchanged in this week  the scheduled Elements 1 #3 for #2 but I´ll also be more careful in the future if something seems to be too much. Which brings me back to my original question: how can I find out how many reps of an exercise I need to make at least a little bit of progress.

Best regards, Anja

Alessandro Mainente

Well in the warmup you can use the last mastered element as a warmup...not necessarily all of the previous ones.

Now you have decent feedback...too much before than added to elements 1 leads to overstress.

Anja Seefeldt

Ah, I see. Thanks