Easiest Hamstring Variations: Leg Curl / GHR / ??

Started by ASForum, May 30, 2010 · 11 Replies · 4,072 Views

ASForum

I tried doing a Leg Curl -ve and I couldnt hold myself past 5 /10 degree angle from vertical. Went into hips piking and giving up on the movement.

Is there a way to do some Leg Curl progression to make it easier for a starter?

Is Leg Curl easier than GHR stuff?

What would be the easiest Hamstring Variation / Progression?

Neal Winkler

Do you own the book?

ASForum
trianglechoke7 said:
Do you own the book?

I went through the book. Cant seem to do the Leg Curl (1st one). Should I try the GHR-half / Archups etc? Is there some way to make these easier (I cant just do a TUCK here..lol to make it easier)??

Neal Winkler

Yeah, half ghr is easier than leg curl (archups too). Perhaps Coach will fix this in 2nd edition.

Ryan Libke

If you can situate an anchor point above where your legs are secured, you can use a strength band. I have been using these for the last several months, using the band so I can lower slowly and keep form on the way back up. As my strength has improved, I have used thinner bands.

Before I had any bands, I would lower to the best of my ability, and catch myself with my hands. Then I would push up with just enough force to get me to the angle where I had sufficient strength in my hammies to execute the motion.

Erik Sjolin

I did that too, but instead of trying to gauge the force I used, I just put my hands by my hips (like a pseudo planche pushup) to help myself up.

Neal Winkler

More BW hamstring exercises:

5UhQ3sILuTY

Blairbob

Continue to work the NLC at your angle.

If you so wish, you can stack books, use stools or chairs to put your hands on allow you to lower further.

Don't pike your hips!

Glute bridges are decent exercises besides the reverse hyper (RLL in GB) but more than likely you will have to weight them eventually. They are used for the lower back in GB but work the glutes and hamstrings as well. As to whether they work your glutes and hams or lower back is something you will have to find out.

AlexX

Like mentioned above the band way is really the best way in my opinion, the bands can be bought very cheaply online (about $5 I believe) also you can go home depot and find tubing to act the same way as bands. If you dont have bands get a rope throw it over a pullups bar and attach a plate to the end of it, if no plate, get a bag fill it with whatever heavy objects you can find at your house (gallon of water jugs for one) and attach the rope to that. If you workout at a gym use one of those weight stacks that people use for tricep pressdowns.

All else fails you can do the negative and catch with your hands however I have found that way to be extremely hard to progress on and when tested again with the band my strength actually decreased.

cccp22
trianglechoke7 said:
More BW hamstring exercises:

5UhQ3sILuTY

********Thank you!

Brandon Green

ASForum
trianglechoke7 said:
Yeah, half ghr is easier than leg curl (archups too). Perhaps Coach will fix this in 2nd edition.

Thanks a lot for all the above info and the video.

PS: Can you clarify the EASY < HARDER ..between the three?? i.e. A < B < C ? (Correct easy-difficult sequence) ?

Half GHR < Leg Curl.... Archups in between / end?

Neal Winkler
crashnburn said:
trianglechoke7 said:
Yeah, half ghr is easier than leg curl (archups too). Perhaps Coach will fix this in 2nd edition.

Thanks a lot for all the above info and the video.

PS: Can you clarify the EASY < HARDER ..between the three?? i.e. A < B < C ? (Correct easy-difficult sequence) ?

Half GHR < Leg Curl.... Archups in between / end?

Half GHR < Single leg-archups < Leg Curl