This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

A2 Push Up Form Check

Started by Alex Simon, August 11, 2020 · 18 Replies · 191 Views

Alex Simon

Hello There,

I would like a form check on my push ups. 

https://youtu.be/PdwIzi80Foc

From what I can see myself is that I have "shoulder blade wing" when in the top position. Can I improve this?

Cheers,

 

Alex Simon

Alessandro Mainente
41 minutes ago, Alex Simon said:

Hello There,

I would like a form check on my push ups. 

https://youtu.be/PdwIzi80Foc

From what I can see myself is that I have "shoulder blade wing" when in the top position. Can I improve this?

Cheers,

 

Alex Simon

Hi Alex, we have the same problem of the planche lean. Your hips must be aligned in between shoulder and heels. Actually the are above them.

Alex Simon

Thanks for the feed back. I am going to work on it. 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Alex, unfortunately, no. the plank is still not completely correct. below you can see your line (red) and the ideal line (green). also you need to improve protraction at the top.

line.png

James Strack

@Alessandro Mainente

That color edit of the body line really helps.  In the training videos, the camera view for some reason makes Orange and his partner who are doing the pushups appear to have a red line body angle and that is somewhat confusing.  Thanks for clearing that up.  I was tending to get more of a green angle anyway, when I concentrated on having protracted shoulders at the top, but now it makes sense.

Alex Simon

@James Strack @Alessandro Mainente

I had the same observation and made the same mistake. I still do have trouble getting a straight line but it is some what better. 

This is how it looks now.

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Keep working on straightening your hips during your push up as well as fully protracting your scapula at the top of each rep. Thinking about dropping your hips towards the floor while engaging your glutes might help you to get your hips straighter. On your iM you are doing a good job of pushing tall through the shoulder on each rep. As you do so, try to engage your core muscle to keep your ribs from flaring out.

Alex Simon
2 hours ago, Jeffrey Bittner said:

Keep working on straightening your hips during your push up as well as fully protracting your scapula at the top of each rep. Thinking about dropping your hips towards the floor while engaging your glutes might help you to get your hips straighter. On your iM you are doing a good job of pushing tall through the shoulder on each rep. As you do so, try to engage your core muscle to keep your ribs from flaring out.

I will, thank you @Jeffrey Bittner

I'm going to use that que the next time. 

Talking about the protraction of the scapula. This is the best i can do at the moment. I already incorporated the thoracic restore series and the scapula restore series into my schedule. Are there some more exercises I can do to improve on protracting my scapula??

Alessandro Mainente
13 minutes ago, Alex Simon said:

I will, thank you @Jeffrey Bittner

I'm going to use that que the next time. 

Talking about the protraction of the scapula. This is the best i can do at the moment. I already incorporated the thoracic restore series and the scapula restore series into my schedule. Are there some more exercises I can do to improve on protracting my scapula??

What is your current level of planche progress? and also..if we talk about thoracic stretch series...how do you feel the exercise "90 capsule stretch"?

Alex Simon

I was working on the Planche leans but after the feedback you gave me I scaled it down to plank holds and work up from there. Should I scale it down even more?

The Thoracic stretch series are not in my schedule yet. I did them in the past but noticed that I had strength issues with some stretches at the end. Last 20min in the series I believe. Also are the Thoracic stretch series rated level 2. That is why I do not have them in my schedule yet. I am at Level 1 at the moment.

I don't think I have any problems with the "90 capsule stretch" on both sides. I feel the stretch but no problems getting in to them, but to be secure I will make a video of it for you to judge. Perhaps I am missing something.

Alex Simon

@Alessandro Mainente

Here is my capsule stretch.

 

Alessandro Mainente
21 hours ago, Alex Simon said:

@Alessandro Mainente

Here is my capsule stretch.

 

well..:

-the outer part of the  lower arm should reach the floor;

-the armpit of the upper arm (the one in the handstand position we can say...) should touch the forearm below.

Alex Simon
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

well..:

-the outer part of the  lower arm should reach the floor;

-the armpit of the upper arm (the one in the handstand position we can say...) should touch the forearm below.

If I understand this correctly I should go flatter with my shoulders, parallel with the floor? At the moment this is the deepest stretch I can go. 

What should I do to improve it? The thoracic stretch Series? 

Alessandro Mainente

You should improve this position...your scapular adductors are too tight and they compromise the ability to improve the protraction in the plank exercises.

Alex Simon

I will. Just added the thoracic stretch Series in my schedule.

Thanks for the feedback.

Alex Simon

Hello,

I have been working on my shoulders since I last posted using "Shoulder restore, Scapula restore and Thoracic restore" almost everyday. Also added this week an additional capsule Stretch and shoulder extension stretch everyday to aid in the restore series. 

Today I took another video of the capsule Stretch again to see any changes. As far as I can see I improved a little. Can you confirm this? 

I also went back to level one in all foundation series to start over again to improve what I am missing and did not noticed before.

 

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, Alex Simon said:

Hello,

I have been working on my shoulders since I last posted using "Shoulder restore, Scapula restore and Thoracic restore" almost everyday. Also added this week an additional capsule Stretch and shoulder extension stretch everyday to aid in the restore series. 

Today I took another video of the capsule Stretch again to see any changes. As far as I can see I improved a little. Can you confirm this? 

I also went back to level one in all foundation series to start over again to improve what I am missing and did not noticed before.

 

Is your lower shoulder elevated?

Alex Simon

I think it is. Should you depress your shoulder and then rol in to it? I have never done that.

Alessandro Mainente
23 hours ago, Alex Simon said:

I think it is. Should you depress your shoulder and then rol in to it? I have never done that.

Is preferable.