This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

ACTUAL Bridge work

Started by James Strack, August 8, 2020 · 21 Replies · 430 Views

James Strack

Hey guys been doing thoracic for a little over a month now but get depressed every time I get to the part past handstand shoulder flexion.  I mean I can literally do zero actual bridge work.  Where this hits home is when the coach says you got to spend time in the bridge for it to improve or something along those lines.  Yet I fail to come off ground every time. Like the last and most important exercises I can't do 1 repetetion. 

 

I seen guys say do handstand and work down but man I am so worn out I have nothing left. 

I do my upper body before thoracic because coach says never do stretch series before workout. 

 

Just feel like utter failure on these as the main exercises that improve bridge I can't do at all. 

James Strack

After 10 minutes rest I can do this. 

Felt like I had much greater bend but when I watched it barely had a bend at all. 

 

I guess I could just plan on resting lots before starting the bridge work. 

Alessandro Mainente
21 hours ago, James Strack said:

After 10 minutes rest I can do this. 

Felt like I had much greater bend but when I watched it barely had a bend at all. 

 

I guess I could just plan on resting lots before starting the bridge work. 

Hey James, well after taking a look to your rib cage i can say that there is some extension...for your level probably you need to walk away from the stall bar a bit more

James Strack

A little further... 

 

I trimmed it to not show me landing on my head.  Lol. 

Alessandro Mainente
21 hours ago, James Strack said:

A little further... 

 

I trimmed it to not show me landing on my head.  Lol. 

Better for sure. i suggest you to do the inverted cat position 2-3 times a week.

James Strack

 

James Strack

Feeling more comfortable 

 

James Strack

 

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, James Strack said:

 

HI James, my impression is that you are in a hurry about moving lower. But there is time to move lower and time to stay high. follows the process:

-the hand's distance at 17 seconds is correct. not less not more;

.then reach the 6th pole (counting from the floor);

-begin with straddle legs and feet closer to the edges of the stall bar;

- ONLY when you can lock out the knees at the first attempt you are welcome to move the legs together;

-ONLY when you can lockout the knees with legs together you are welcome to move down to another pole and begin again with straddle position.

Also keep in mind my previous suggestion, looking to your shoulder flexio and spine extension your primary work should be increasing the inverted cat range of motion.

James Strack

 

Difficulty level increases for sure.   I couldn't hold 60 seconds.   Not sure if you can view YouTube slapped me with music copyright.   Had to resubmit with no sound. 

Alessandro Mainente
18 hours ago, James Strack said:

 

Difficulty level increases for sure.   I couldn't hold 60 seconds.   Not sure if you can view YouTube slapped me with music copyright.   Had to resubmit with no sound. 

Notice that the hands are not symmetrical. As mentioned you should spend more time on the reverse cat position.

James Strack

Still weak I think maybe I need to do on non upper body day.  I just like to group push exercises into same day although these are considered a stretch they wear me out pretty good. 

Alessandro Mainente
21 hours ago, James Strack said:

Still weak I think maybe I need to do on non upper body day.  I just like to group push exercises into same day although these are considered a stretch they wear me out pretty good. 

HI james, sometimes the problem comes out from side view like the symmetric position of the hands...other problems come out from the front. in your case:

-hands placement is too wide;

-elbows are bent.

James Strack

Hello, 

I noticed my hips seem to go down further than the demonstrators in the video is that my range of motion or maybe just my plyo ball needing more air. 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey James....A LOT of air!!

James Strack

 

I can't say I notice improvements in my bridge yet.  Still can't get even the 60 seconds hold coach calls for in the stretch video.  My strength gives out.  I moved upper body workout to different day thinking that was problem but appears I'm just weak in this hold. 

1101201415.jpgTaking pictures and videos helps tons didn't even notice I had one hand on different rung until I saw picture. 

Alessandro Mainente
12 hours ago, James Strack said:

 

I can't say I notice improvements in my bridge yet.  Still can't get even the 60 seconds hold coach calls for in the stretch video.  My strength gives out.  I moved upper body workout to different day thinking that was problem but appears I'm just weak in this hold. 

1101201415.jpgTaking pictures and videos helps tons didn't even notice I had one hand on different rung until I saw picture. 

Remember to put some air into this ball.

James Strack

I feel like my form is looking better but been unsuccessful at doing coach's minimum 60 seconds now for months of attempts.   Right around 40 seconds my arms always begin shaking real bad and I come crashing down.   Is there a specific exercise I can add to increase my endurance strength of that?  Very frustrated I can't do the minimum yet alone do any exercises after that one in the stretch course.   It's stretching but holy crap it takes heaps of strength. 

Well looking at other guys form check looks like my shoulder extension sucks. 

Alessandro Mainente
13 hours ago, James Strack said:

I feel like my form is looking better but been unsuccessful at doing coach's minimum 60 seconds now for months of attempts.   Right around 40 seconds my arms always begin shaking real bad and I come crashing down.   Is there a specific exercise I can add to increase my endurance strength of that?  Very frustrated I can't do the minimum yet alone do any exercises after that one in the stretch course.   It's stretching but holy crap it takes heaps of strength. 

Well looking at other guys form check looks like my shoulder extension sucks. 

Hey James, my personal suggestion is always checking the bridge also from the front view so that you can see if there are asymmetrical arms positioning.

James Strack

Finally held it for 60 seconds!   Yes was stuck at 40 to 45 seconds for a few months and now.

 

 

James Strack

First off I apologise for forgetting to tuck my shirt in.  I don't video without yet because self conscious on the remaining body fat I need to lose yet.  However in this instance it gave me a good look at the bend my back has.  Happy to say I can see a bend in upper back.  Much work needed yet but improvement is good 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente
13 hours ago, James Strack said:

First off I apologise for forgetting to tuck my shirt in.  I don't video without yet because self conscious on the remaining body fat I need to lose yet.  However in this instance it gave me a good look at the bend my back has.  Happy to say I can see a bend in upper back.  Much work needed yet but improvement is good 

 

 

Hey james nice progress, always remember to have a check the front view because, for example, improvements on the backbend BUT with bend elbows is worst than less bending in the back but with locked elowsn.