My arms/elbow naturally hyperextend by a few degrees. I took this week off because of forearm splints, and I've determined that they really flared up when I transitioned to doing basic straight arm work. Straight arms on supports. Straight arms at the top of XR dips and XR push-ups. Straight arms on L-Sits. Straight arms on handstand. I've been over-tensing the forearms/biceps to protect the elbow, and that killed it.
So obvs, when I return back to work, I'm going to halt all straight arm postures and work on improving bent-arm strength for awhile. Probably the next 6 weeks or so before I start trying the straight arm stuff again.
2 Questions:
(1) Is there are an intermediate straight arm progression on XR support that I can do before just trying to straighten my arms and supporting my total weight? I can hold a slightly bent support on the rings for 60s with out shaking or anything. But with the hyperextension plus 180 lbs., it's too much for me to fully straighten, even with the rings turned in.
(2) What exercise can I do to really strengthen the biceps so that they can support the straight arm? Right now I'm tensing my bicep and forearms so much just to protect the joint from all the force. The forearm tensing is specifically what flared up my tendons. So are chin-ups and dumbell curls enough? I tried doing the inverted curl from a tuck and pike position. Uhm...no way I'll get full ROM on those. I tried Slizzardman's "preacher curl" subsitute. Nope. Just wondering if there's anything else I should do. Otherwise I'll work on the chin-up progression to full L-chins.
(3) My fists love the bucket of rice. So I'll keep doing that.
Thanks all - J