This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Strength Training - Frequency Low? OK to Supplement?

Started by Bill Herndon, July 25, 2020 · 6 Replies · 271 Views

Bill Herndon

I'm coming from a several decades of working out. It was all in a "box gym" and martial arts, but now with COVID it turned into kettlebells in the garage.

I've only been doing the workouts here for two weeks. Specifically I thought it would help with more or less chronic shoulder injuries. I'm trying to stick with the recommended "Level 1", but there's very little in the way of actual "strength" training or reps.

I know a lot of the foundation segments can be adjusted to increase difficulty and I've done that, but I realize that the emphasis is on doing the exercises with proper FORM so I'm deliberately trying to stay conservative with the levels.

Based on what I've done so far, I need a LOT of work with the flexibility in my quads and shoulders but I am not really TIRED after most of the sessions.

For a LOT of the stretches/mobility I feel like I could have done a lot more (10 seconds holds seem *incredibly* short - I'm used to 1 to 3 minutes when training for martial arts). I understand that working on the connective tissues will take time and is not going to generate the same level of soreness, but are longer stretches going to be harmful?

I've been assuming that it's like that deliberately to work on balance, flexibility, and mobility (hence the reason I'm trying it), but how much - if any - additional training should or could I do that's just strength related with dumbbells or kettlebells? 

For instance should I continue with a kettlebell workout 3 times per week (40 minutes - swings, TGU's, halos, presses)?

I was assuming the two would complement each other, but I don't want to retard progress with your program by continuing strength training at the same time.

Alessandro Mainente
On 7/25/2020 at 8:52 PM, Bill Herndon said:

I'm coming from a several decades of working out. It was all in a "box gym" and martial arts, but now with COVID it turned into kettlebells in the garage.

I've only been doing the workouts here for two weeks. Specifically I thought it would help with more or less chronic shoulder injuries. I'm trying to stick with the recommended "Level 1", but there's very little in the way of actual "strength" training or reps.

I know a lot of the foundation segments can be adjusted to increase difficulty and I've done that, but I realize that the emphasis is on doing the exercises with proper FORM so I'm deliberately trying to stay conservative with the levels.

Based on what I've done so far, I need a LOT of work with the flexibility in my quads and shoulders but I am not really TIRED after most of the sessions.

For a LOT of the stretches/mobility I feel like I could have done a lot more (10 seconds holds seem *incredibly* short - I'm used to 1 to 3 minutes when training for martial arts). I understand that working on the connective tissues will take time and is not going to generate the same level of soreness, but are longer stretches going to be harmful?

I've been assuming that it's like that deliberately to work on balance, flexibility, and mobility (hence the reason I'm trying it), but how much - if any - additional training should or could I do that's just strength related with dumbbells or kettlebells? 

For instance should I continue with a kettlebell workout 3 times per week (40 minutes - swings, TGU's, halos, presses)?

I was assuming the two would complement each other, but I don't want to retard progress with your program by continuing strength training at the same time.

Hi Bill for several questions the first answer is another question: what is your primary goal? there are many friends of mine who try to do weigtlifintg, and GST and balance, and powerlifting and KB...average results on everything. so the first goal comes first. everything is an accessory if you have enough energy and if you can train with proper technique. quite simple.

The duration of mobility exercise in between sets has 2 goals: restore the muscles at the starting length without affecting the next series and/or make the next set easier by reducing the passive tension of the antagonist. this must be fitted with the necessity of reducing the amount of rest in between set because every beginner would use "some rest" only with active rest.

Bill Herndon

I understand you are saying the reason items are left out of training are to avoid counterproductive activities.

For instance there's only one day a week with calf exercises as the program was setup for me. I am *assuming* that if I were to do multiple days of calf training WITHOUT the adjacent stretches and mobility that I wouldn't make much progress with the mobility. And that particular module (Stretch Front Split) says to do it only once per week. I'm used to blasting calves three times per week (but without anything close to this much stretching). It just *feels* like I'm not doing any work on my calves.

Based on your response, I'm assuming that I should significantly lay off added strength training that's not specifically in the program (if my goal is mobility and to avoid injuries - not sport specific).

However what about stretching time? Can I be doing TOO MUCH stretching. For instance it seems that doing 1 minute stretches (instead of 10 seconds) from Restore Shoulder every evening would be good.

And if I were to do a 20 minute kettlebell workout BEFORE the modules, would that counteract the "issues" with strength training?

Alessandro Mainente
10 hours ago, Bill Herndon said:

I understand you are saying the reason items are left out of training are to avoid counterproductive activities.

For instance there's only one day a week with calf exercises as the program was setup for me. I am *assuming* that if I were to do multiple days of calf training WITHOUT the adjacent stretches and mobility that I wouldn't make much progress with the mobility. And that particular module (Stretch Front Split) says to do it only once per week. I'm used to blasting calves three times per week (but without anything close to this much stretching). It just *feels* like I'm not doing any work on my calves.

Based on your response, I'm assuming that I should significantly lay off added strength training that's not specifically in the program (if my goal is mobility and to avoid injuries - not sport specific).

However what about stretching time? Can I be doing TOO MUCH stretching. For instance it seems that doing 1 minute stretches (instead of 10 seconds) from Restore Shoulder every evening would be good.

And if I were to do a 20 minute kettlebell workout BEFORE the modules, would that counteract the "issues" with strength training?

Hi Bill, restore is made for "introducing" and move the joint and around the joint. stretch series is more effective after the range of motion is already restored. you can consider to use one or 2 or 3 exercises from one stretch series and do them more often but not all the stretch series more often. 

KB can be done before restore and before stretch work....before strength training depends on what you are going to train...snatch? clean? swing? 

Joe Cox

I'm also interested in your thoughts concerning kettlebells. I have been training snatch on Monday and Thursday after foundation upper, and swings Tuesday and Friday after foundation lower, TGU Wednesday and sun-day before the stretch series. My main goal for using kb is cardio to improve martial arts endurance. 

Alessandro Mainente
16 hours ago, Joe Cox said:

I'm also interested in your thoughts concerning kettlebells. I have been training snatch on Monday and Thursday after foundation upper, and swings Tuesday and Friday after foundation lower, TGU Wednesday and sun-day before the stretch series. My main goal for using kb is cardio to improve martial arts endurance. 

If the main goal is cardio you can theoretically insert them whenever you want because the average intensity used is low BUT keep in mind to increase buffer and do not work up to failure because is going to produce and accumulate more fatigue. the problem is always managing fatigue...if you understand your personal reaction to fatigue you can manage the training session...i have students training manna or one arm pullup 4 times a week..no injury..manna achieved and one arm pull-up with 17 kg achieved...no fatigue...but training will give you the answers. the maximum recoverable volume is something that you understand with time. Another last point...be sure to distinguish clearly cardio from HIIT because i did KB for 7 years and is easy to perform HIIT and call it cardio. if the frequency of HR is high then consider it as HITT and you should program it NOT before a strength session (no matter if it is performed with GST or barbell) especially if the HIIT it is longer than 12-15 minutes. if you stay under this time you have more degrees of liberty on making decisions about programming.

Joe Cox

Thanks for that answer. That makes sense. I always use the kettlebells after GST which is my main focus. Also, I roll dice for time, so I work randomly from 2-12 minutes. Admittedly on some days after working hard on GST (or just because I'm not feeling it), I'll roll a 10 or 12 but decide "nah, 4 is good"...lol.