So I need your opinion on my skills: (sorry if the picture is too big. Some portions of my picture won't show up)
Splits: I still need to work on my hip flexor flexibility.

L-sit: I think it could be better.

Handstand alignment

Started by phken4343, May 29, 2010 · 15 Replies · 3,229 Views
So I need your opinion on my skills: (sorry if the picture is too big. Some portions of my picture won't show up)
Splits: I still need to work on my hip flexor flexibility.

L-sit: I think it could be better.

Handstand alignment

l-sit push legs forward more and open chest
splits it looks like you are twisting your hip which is bad
I was about to say the same thing about your front split. It looks very awkward to me... sort of painful looking.
I'm curious: I always do my l sits with hands forward. Is there a reason you're facing them backwards?
I guess I was rushing to get into my splits because I only have 10 seconds before the camera takes the picture.
I'll take an another picture.
I'm not really sure, but I see elite gymnasts doing manna and V with the palms facing backwards. I think Blairbob or Coach Sommers can answer that question.
It's all about personal preference (hand position), but I never saw palms turned backward in L-seat ![]()
Really? I usually do it with my hands side-ways, but I thought I should practice it with my palms backward for a V.
In general people do:
l-sit:hands forwards
v-sit: hands forward
manna:hands backwards
but remember it's optional as Gregor said
In L sits I really see no difference in difficulty wherever your hands are, because all you do is keep your elbows straight and push your shoulders down. I wouldn't know, I hate all things that require my hands being backwards.
I did notice that, when in the same spot, my forearms touch my thighs when my hands are pointed backwards. Guess I got me some meaty wrists (lol yea right)
Try posting a handstand picture with your whole body. From what I can see, you're shoulders are not open which causes that angle between your arms and your body.
When I do my splits, I hold my back leg on the ankles to make sure that my knees are aligned properly. (like this)

Also, here is my L-sit with a different hand position. As you can see, it's clearly better.

Have you tried the advanced L sit? It's fun. (yeah right) All you do is try to keep your back straight ![]()
I've tried it before.
Any comments on my other picture?
Your splits?
When you do splits, you actually have two options for what to do with your back leg. If you tilt it outwards, you get get farther down. "but why?" The ligaments and tendons in your hips really don't like it when your leg goes straight behind you. Plus, there's another bone back there so your thigh bone would eventually touch it if you didn't have those ligaments. So... turning your leg away from your body (AKA cheating to a degree) will let you go farther down. It lets you go farther down because your hips don't have to tilt forward. When your hips tilt forward, it requires more flexibility from the front leg. ![]()
Here's a picture of mine that might help... something we can all laugh at ![]()

My foot is tilted sideways... What I mean is that my thigh is turned outwards so I can go all the way down. My hips are tilted forwards and a little sideways. The forward tilt makes it harder, but the turned hips make it easier.
Still, splits are splits and I can kick over the heads of people taller than me, so I'm happy.
I wonder how other think about this? Anyways, I think I can get down to a perfect split if I do your method.
Well, I don't consciously do it. My guess is that you're already doing it too. Your back leg is at an angle instead of straight when you pick it up. I was just explaining it.
If your hamstrings were a little more flexible, you could go all the way down. You're really close, so it won't be much longer. You could get into that position and just lean forward, it'll speed up your stretching if you don't already do that.
The way seiji is doing it is usually referred to as an "open" front split. If you keep your foot straight that is referred to as a "true" front split. (Not sure if they use the same terminology in gymnastics, someone on this board would have to confirm.)
Anyway, the "true" front split is "better" but "harder," as you've probably noticed.
If you feel it in the hip flexors more than the hamstrings then that's obviously the area you need to work on to get a more solid split. Good luck!