This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

wrist pain

Started by James Strack, July 24, 2020 · 4 Replies · 94 Views

James Strack

Good Morning,

So, I was feeling super awesome and added handstand work to Foundations 3 weeks ago.  My wrists felt great after workouts and was making some progress.  No pain at all during workout or afterward.  However, I went to bed and woke up with my left wrist being tender.  Not very bad, almost felt like a slight bruise or sprain, no swelling.  What I think happened is my wrists having been worked out, got trapped in a tight position when I slept.  Anyway, it's feels better now, I took 3 days off.   Obviously no one is gonna give medical advice here, and I wouldn't expect it.  But am wondering if the below is a good method to strengthen them up some before I get back into it.

What I am thinking though instead of just adding handstands right back, maybe just do the wrist warm ups for a month, then add the handstand program back in.

Johannes Walser

i had wirstpain too with HS. What helped for me was to regress and take care, that the exekution of the exercise is really on point (form wise).

 

 

Alessandro Mainente
On 7/24/2020 at 2:18 PM, James Strack said:

Good Morning,

So, I was feeling super awesome and added handstand work to Foundations 3 weeks ago.  My wrists felt great after workouts and was making some progress.  No pain at all during workout or afterward.  However, I went to bed and woke up with my left wrist being tender.  Not very bad, almost felt like a slight bruise or sprain, no swelling.  What I think happened is my wrists having been worked out, got trapped in a tight position when I slept.  Anyway, it's feels better now, I took 3 days off.   Obviously no one is gonna give medical advice here, and I wouldn't expect it.  But am wondering if the below is a good method to strengthen them up some before I get back into it.

What I am thinking though instead of just adding handstands right back, maybe just do the wrist warm ups for a month, then add the handstand program back in.

Let them the time to recover.

Timothy Strickland

Had a similar wrist pain after my introduction to handstands via crossfit years ago. I wasn't coached very well and ended up having enough wrist pain for weeks that I couldn't bend my wrist. I now wear wrist straps at night occasionally to keep my wrists from bending in an awkward position, you might get that a shot at least until it is 100%

James Strack

@Timothy Strickland thanks man, I think I'll give that a shot.  I still plan on strengthening the wrists for a week or two yet, before I start it up again, but having something to protect my wrists while I sleep and toss and turn in middle of night would be great.