This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handstand programming with level one

Started by Thomas Lancer, July 16, 2020 · 1 Replies · 182 Views

Thomas Lancer

Hey all,

I just joined gymnastic bodies a few days ago. I’m 18 years old, and a former competitive swimmer and triathlete. I also have decent experience weightlifting as well. I’ve had some shoulder and elbow tendinitis in the past from doing too much too fast, and I want to bulletproof my body with this program.

 

I just started level one. I have the strength capabilities to perform many of the exercises in level two, and I was actually recommended level 2 by the quiz, but I don’t feel my connective tissue strength is at that level yet. I want to be able to train everyday for the next 3 years, so I’m taking the time now and starting at the beginning of level 1.

 

I want to work on handstand progressions too. How many days/week should I program it? I have the all access subscription. I currently have the level one strength days on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday with front split on Wednesday and middle split on Saturday. I’ve also included the elbow series on Wednesday and Saturday before my split work. As of now, Sunday is just a light mobility day using the extended warm up. 
 

Also, as an 18 year old, are there any modifications I should make in the progression of the routine? 
 

looking forward to hearing your feedback.

 

all the best,

Thomas 

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Thomas Lancer said:

Hey all,

I just joined gymnastic bodies a few days ago. I’m 18 years old, and a former competitive swimmer and triathlete. I also have decent experience weightlifting as well. I’ve had some shoulder and elbow tendinitis in the past from doing too much too fast, and I want to bulletproof my body with this program.

 

I just started level one. I have the strength capabilities to perform many of the exercises in level two, and I was actually recommended level 2 by the quiz, but I don’t feel my connective tissue strength is at that level yet. I want to be able to train everyday for the next 3 years, so I’m taking the time now and starting at the beginning of level 1.

 

I want to work on handstand progressions too. How many days/week should I program it? I have the all access subscription. I currently have the level one strength days on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday with front split on Wednesday and middle split on Saturday. I’ve also included the elbow series on Wednesday and Saturday before my split work. As of now, Sunday is just a light mobility day using the extended warm up. 
 

Also, as an 18 year old, are there any modifications I should make in the progression of the routine? 
 

looking forward to hearing your feedback.

 

all the best,

Thomas 

Hi Thomas, welcome to GB, well the ability to train all the days of the weeks strongly depends on the average intensity because if your training is 30'' of plank you do it every day but if it rings strength training you can't. i started with GB in early 2008 i have started wi train every day around 2016....so basically almost 10 years later...i held this schedule for 4 years, but now work necessities imposed me to train 4 days a week. In order to have results definitely over the average you need 4 times...sometimes 3. Handstand frequency depends on your level:

-if you have the mobility then the handstand is basically technical training especially at the stage of free handstand;

-if you have a lack of mobility the amount of technical work is reduced in favor of mobility.

There is nothing better of starting the handstand one course for the beginning and see how is your level.