This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elbows feeling stretched in shoulder stretches

Started by Arthur Sebastian, June 27, 2020 · 2 Replies · 100 Views

Arthur Sebastian

I was watching the follow along with coach Sommer Bridge series the other day. I noticed that he emphasized that we shouldn't be feeling discomfort in the inner elbow area during the shoulder and thoracic stretches. This is the opposite of what I've been doing all along! Can someone explain please why feeling the stretch in the elbow is a bad thing and if in any move it should be embraced or always avoided, thanks!

@Coach Sommer

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, Arthur Sebastian said:

I was watching the follow along with coach Sommer Bridge series the other day. I noticed that he emphasized that we shouldn't be feeling discomfort in the inner elbow area during the shoulder and thoracic stretches. This is the opposite of what I've been doing all along! Can someone explain please why feeling the stretch in the elbow is a bad thing and if in any move it should be embraced or always avoided, thanks!

@Coach Sommer

HI Arthur, everyone has its own limitation. usually, if someone does not use too much the biceps as elbow flexor but he/she uses them at the shoulder (like in the overhead works) probably he/she is going to have high shoulder but not tight elbows. on the opposite desk, work has a much more resting position with bent elbows and less with arms overhead so probably you are going to feel tension at the elbows.

Coach Sommer

Arthur,

If you are feeling the stretch in the elbows it means that your grip is too narrow for your current degree of biceps/brachialis/forearm mobility.  Widen your grip until the elbows do not feel overly tight during the mobility.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer