This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question about Azarian Cross

Started by Arthur Sebastian, June 24, 2020 · 3 Replies · 125 Views

Arthur Sebastian

I’m not sure if I’m allowed to ask this question since it’s not part of the course but since there are gymnastics coaches here I’d like to ask about my shortcomings and possible deficiencies in performing this move in this video(I know the form is not good and my legs open apart) so I can pinpoint the places in the courses I’m enrolled in where I need to put my most focus on. I know for one that I need to add in rope climbing in my schedule to better prepare my elbows for this as I have a problem with my right elbow from before(by stupidly doing chicken wing muscle ups...). I did the iron cross without a false grip in the video I’d also appreciate tips on developing a strong butterfly mount other than by doing eccentrics. 

 

Alessandro Mainente
8 hours ago, Arthur Sebastian said:

I’m not sure if I’m allowed to ask this question since it’s not part of the course but since there are gymnastics coaches here I’d like to ask about my shortcomings and possible deficiencies in performing this move in this video(I know the form is not good and my legs open apart) so I can pinpoint the places in the courses I’m enrolled in where I need to put my most focus on. I know for one that I need to add in rope climbing in my schedule to better prepare my elbows for this as I have a problem with my right elbow from before(by stupidly doing chicken wing muscle ups...). I did the iron cross without a false grip in the video I’d also appreciate tips on developing a strong butterfly mount other than by doing eccentrics. 

 

HI Arthur, your variation seems more a felge backward with bend elbows rather than a slow strength element. Also, your cross is done with bent elbows which is not a good idea. with my gymnasts and stronger client, i do not approach azaryan until almost 20  seconds on the iron cross and multiple cross pullout starting from support. if you can perform these requirements you can show them so that we can check if they are ok.

Arthur Sebastian
On 6/25/2020 at 11:07 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Arthur, your variation seems more a felge backward with bend elbows rather than a slow strength element. Also, your cross is done with bent elbows which is not a good idea. with my gymnasts and stronger client, i do not approach azaryan until almost 20  seconds on the iron cross and multiple cross pullout starting from support. if you can perform these requirements you can show them so that we can check if they are ok.

Thank you for the tips. However, I think my cross at the final point wasn't held by bent elbows but I'll look closer at it from now on to be assured it used to happen only on one elbow which had bursitis before. I had trained cross pullouts on the low rings but it definitely is more difficult for me on the high rings. For training them do you recommend assistance from bands or a spotter or to put my feet on some elevated surface and train it on low rings? Any specific number of sets and hold times for this and progressing on cross holds? Also to be sure, the prerequisites for the cross are straddle planche on rings, front lever, and the back lever on the rings, right?

I happened to be genetically gifted in building more muscle mass and am bigger than everyone else in our gymnastics club that's the reason I'm expected so much at once despite the strength and muscle mass not necessarily being connected that's why I'm here to know my deficits & work on them and prevent injuries.

Coach Sommer

Arthur,

You are not yet ready for azarian to cross work.  

In fact you need quite a bit of refinement and improvement of your basic Iron Cross strength before you can safely and effectively train azarian cross.  There is no getting around this.  If you continue to train strength elements which are above your current level of physical and technical preparation, injury is going to be the inevitable result.  Being a natural mesomorph will not protect you from this.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer