This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pike HS Press form check-tips on L Sit press to HS

Started by Arthur Sebastian, June 24, 2020 · 3 Replies · 54 Views

Arthur Sebastian

Hi everyone, 

I’d like to get some general feedback on my pike HS press. I know my back is arched and I need to fix that but other than that I want to know if my shoulders are in the correct position and what I should train on to be able to do an HS press from L sit. I can do them from straddle L sit but with struggle and only one time. Is a V sit necessary as a prerequisite for that? Does it need special arm to leg ratio? Also my hands in straddle L sit are facing sideways always. I can only do an straddle L sit with my wrists facing sideways which ruins my balance in the handstand. Is it only me feeling the need to put my wrists sideways in Straddle L sit? Thank you for your time and feedback!

forgive the background noise. 

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, Arthur Sebastian said:

Hi everyone, 

I’d like to get some general feedback on my pike HS press. I know my back is arched and I need to fix that but other than that I want to know if my shoulders are in the correct position and what I should train on to be able to do an HS press from L sit. I can do them from straddle L sit but with struggle and only one time. Is a V sit necessary as a prerequisite for that? Does it need special arm to leg ratio? Also my hands in straddle L sit are facing sideways always. I can only do an straddle L sit with my wrists facing sideways which ruins my balance in the handstand. Is it only me feeling the need to put my wrists sideways in Straddle L sit? Thank you for your time and feedback!

forgive the background noise. 

Hi Arthur for sure you can reduce the amount of lean on the pike press and generally on the presses. In order to do the press from v-sit you need for sure a strong active compression, the v sit is not necessary but very very helpful. before moving on you can consider posting your straddle press.

Arthur Sebastian
On 6/25/2020 at 11:10 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Arthur for sure you can reduce the amount of lean on the pike press and generally on the presses. In order to do the press from v-sit you need for sure a strong active compression, the v sit is not necessary but very very helpful. before moving on you can consider posting your straddle press.

Thank you for the response! Can you elaborate on how exactly I should lean less forward? It seems necessary for pressing up, isn't it? Also, tell me how Ii should work on active pressing. Is it working on my Straddle and L sit holds? 

As you asked this is a video of me doing a straddle to HS press: 

 

Alessandro Mainente
15 hours ago, Arthur Sebastian said:

Thank you for the response! Can you elaborate on how exactly I should lean less forward? It seems necessary for pressing up, isn't it? Also, tell me how Ii should work on active pressing. Is it working on my Straddle and L sit holds? 

As you asked this is a video of me doing a straddle to HS press: 

 

The better the compression, the stronger the shoulder the less will be  the lean. you can improve the straddle press by improving the straddle L. In your case feet should be higher than knees which should be higher than hips.