I've been thinking about GPP lately, after chatting with some old buddies I used to CrossFit with. Obviously we ended up talking about what I'm doing now and they were skeptical about specializing in bodyweight stuff over a mixed modal approach. I remember hearing somewhere once that gymnasts tend to do extremely well in all athletic endeavours outside of gymnastics as compared to other athletes that change sport. For instance a gymnast could pick up basketball, volleyball, soccer, etc. faster than a hockey player could change sport and be good at it. This made me wonder, first of all if it's true, which by all accounts it would seem to be, and two, if gymnastics mixed with sprinting could put together a pretty solid GPP program.
If you take cardiovascular/respiratory endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, speed, agility, balance, coordination, and accuracy it would seem that gymnastics develops a lot of these and sprinting could close the gap in the rest.
strength, flexibility, agility, balance, coordination, and accuracy are definitely well developed in gymnastics.
cardio/respiratory endurance, speed, and to some extent power can be developed with sprinting.
Stamina I am not sure about.
If you take this it would seem that eight of ten fitness domains could be very effectively developed by gymnastics and sprinting, with stamina and power being the only questionable ones.
Given this, do other people feel that a mix of gymnastics and sprinting could be a very effective GPP program?