This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tightness at front of hips

Started by Nick Goddard, June 10, 2020 · 3 Replies · 73 Views

Nick Goddard

Hey guys, the front of my hips/quads have been quite tight for around a month now. which is uncommon for me as I had a long stint without tightness. 
 

looking at my training diary I have pinpointed it as:


- Increase in walking.

- Lack of lower back training. (I stopped doing arch ups at the start of lock down due to not having suitable equipment).

Does the lack of lower back work sound like a feasible answer for increased work and tightness for the quads and front of hip flexor? 

The logic being most of my training incorporates hip flexion and the arch up is more hip extension.

 

thanks, I hope that made sense.

 

Nick

 

 

Alessandro Mainente
16 hours ago, Nick Goddard said:

Hey guys, the front of my hips/quads have been quite tight for around a month now. which is uncommon for me as I had a long stint without tightness. 
 

looking at my training diary I have pinpointed it as:


- Increase in walking.

- Lack of lower back training. (I stopped doing arch ups at the start of lock down due to not having suitable equipment).

Does the lack of lower back work sound like a feasible answer for increased work and tightness for the quads and front of hip flexor? 

The logic being most of my training incorporates hip flexion and the arch up is more hip extension.

 

thanks, I hope that made sense.

 

Nick

 

 

Rather than lower back training the problem can be fewer hips extension and more sedentary hours in the day exactly as too much stretching and/or inadequate strength training for your level of flexibility. i do not have enough instruments to judge.

Nick Goddard

Thanks Alessandro. I understand it's hard to tell without knowing one's backstory and training routine.

Could another cause of the tightness be over training of the hip flexors and potentially making tendons damaged leading to the slow recovery I am experiencing? 

I don't think it will be sedentary hours in the day due to now working from home, I am able to make sure I limber up and move regularly. I am also wary of over stretching and try to really listen to my body.

My current plan of action Is to make sure the surrounding areas of the hip are being trained weekly:

1. Arch ups for lower back (using a partner). 

2. Side leg raises leading with the heal for Glute Medius and Abductors.

3. Banded squats for Glute Medius and Abducters for activation.

4. Side Plank for Quadratus Lumborum.

4. Maintaining hip internal and external stretching. 

 

Nick

 

 

Alessandro Mainente
On 6/11/2020 at 11:07 AM, Nick Goddard said:

Thanks Alessandro. I understand it's hard to tell without knowing one's backstory and training routine.

Could another cause of the tightness be over training of the hip flexors and potentially making tendons damaged leading to the slow recovery I am experiencing? 

I don't think it will be sedentary hours in the day due to now working from home, I am able to make sure I limber up and move regularly. I am also wary of over stretching and try to really listen to my body.

My current plan of action Is to make sure the surrounding areas of the hip are being trained weekly:

1. Arch ups for lower back (using a partner). 

2. Side leg raises leading with the heal for Glute Medius and Abductors.

3. Banded squats for Glute Medius and Abducters for activation.

4. Side Plank for Quadratus Lumborum.

4. Maintaining hip internal and external stretching. 

 

Nick

 

 

It can be.