This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stretch Memory?

Started by James Strack, June 8, 2020 · 1 Replies · 45 Views

James Strack

Good Morning,

I used to do Tae Kwon Do and other Martial Arts 20 years ago.  At that time I could do the full splits, and unfortunately over the years I stopped stretching and lost the splits.  Shame on me.

I am wondering, if you once could do the full splits or middle splits as it is appropriately called, do tendons/ligaments have some sort of memory whereas it would be easier to get back to that point?  I know with building muscle from weights, that seems to be the case, I could gain muscle back quickly after having obtained it before.

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente
19 hours ago, James Strack said:

Good Morning,

I used to do Tae Kwon Do and other Martial Arts 20 years ago.  At that time I could do the full splits, and unfortunately over the years I stopped stretching and lost the splits.  Shame on me.

I am wondering, if you once could do the full splits or middle splits as it is appropriately called, do tendons/ligaments have some sort of memory whereas it would be easier to get back to that point?  I know with building muscle from weights, that seems to be the case, I could gain muscle back quickly after having obtained it before.

Thanks,

James

Yes, they have but is a deeper thing. There is also an adaptation of the joint capsule and general range of motion that ensure the possibility to recover it in the late phase of life.