This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foundation One and Stretch Advice

Started by Ciaran Spain, June 2, 2020 · 5 Replies · 197 Views

Ciaran Spain

Hey all,

I have been doing Foundation One for around 2 months now and have progressed to level 6/9 on Upper, Core and Lower body workouts.

My current schedule is roughly the following:

Day 1 - Daily Limber, Core and Lower Body

Day 2 - Daily Limber, Upper Body and Knee Series

Day 3 - Daily Limber, Single Bar Mobility and Weighted Mobility

Day 4 - Rest

Start Day one again, some days I don't have time to do two workouts but I'd always do the Daily Limber and do whatever workout was next.

I am looking at purchasing the stretch series and was wondering how to incorporate these and if I should invest in all three?

I have found that generally my strength is okay all around and has been improving but I am incredibly inflexible, probably from too many years of playing soccer and running.

My main areas of stiffness are my hamstrings, groins and lower back so doing the pike, seated pike, straddles, weighted pancakes etc. I really struggle to get anywhere near as low in these stretches. 

Also, for the Single Bar Mobility one exercise I can't do is the German Hang Pull, is there any advice on how to scale this? I know the video mentions putting some cushions below but I don't think I could even get around into the position to spin around.

Alessandro Mainente
10 hours ago, Ciaran Spain said:

Hey all,

I have been doing Foundation One for around 2 months now and have progressed to level 6/9 on Upper, Core and Lower body workouts.

My current schedule is roughly the following:

Day 1 - Daily Limber, Core and Lower Body

Day 2 - Daily Limber, Upper Body and Knee Series

Day 3 - Daily Limber, Single Bar Mobility and Weighted Mobility

Day 4 - Rest

Start Day one again, some days I don't have time to do two workouts but I'd always do the Daily Limber and do whatever workout was next.

I am looking at purchasing the stretch series and was wondering how to incorporate these and if I should invest in all three?

I have found that generally my strength is okay all around and has been improving but I am incredibly inflexible, probably from too many years of playing soccer and running.

My main areas of stiffness are my hamstrings, groins and lower back so doing the pike, seated pike, straddles, weighted pancakes etc. I really struggle to get anywhere near as low in these stretches. 

Also, for the Single Bar Mobility one exercise I can't do is the German Hang Pull, is there any advice on how to scale this? I know the video mentions putting some cushions below but I don't think I could even get around into the position to spin around.

Hey Ciaran, well the stretch series are basically 3 follow along programs that can take the substitution on the daily limber. quite simple.

Ciaran Spain

Thanks for the replay Alessandro, would the best approach be to do the following

Day 1 - Front Split and Core and Lower Body

Day 2 - Middle Split and Upper Body and Knee Series

Day 3 - Thoracic Bridge and Single Bar Mobility and Weighted Mobility

And then rest and repeat? I noticed that the stretch series are much longer then the 7 min daily limber so just being conscience of how much I should be doing.

Craig Copeland

Ciaran: I bought all three stretch series 4 or 5 years ago (whenever they first came out). They are gold, but each is a 45-minute investment of time per week.

I was made out of concrete then. Now, still not great (maybe more like an oak tree?) but getting better, slowly but surely.

Depending on your financial situation, the courses might look pricey. I'm going to use them for the rest of my life, so, from that perspective, they are very cheap.

Good luck in your athletic journey.

Alessandro Mainente

If you perform stretch AFTER the workout then you can pair lower with lower...if not you need to pair opposite body part.

Bill Marr

Ciaran: You said rest and repeat your three-day cycle. Each of the three stretch series is only to be performed once per week. Don't repeat those after only one day's rest.