This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pancake to the side (locating tightness & pain)

Started by Nick Goddard, May 31, 2020 · 2 Replies · 62 Views

Nick Goddard

Hey guys, last week I aggravated my hip and lower back attempting pistol squats. 
 

Now, whilst trying doing pancake to the side I can usually get my head close to my shins both sides . However now something has locked up and I can’t lean to the left.
 

I know this might be physio territory but could you suggest which muscles are tight here? the ones which are limiting my movement.

 

thanks a lot,

Nick

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, Nick Goddard said:

Hey guys, last week I aggravated my hip and lower back attempting pistol squats. 
 

Now, whilst trying doing pancake to the side I can usually get my head close to my shins both sides . However now something has locked up and I can’t lean to the left.
 

I know this might be physio territory but could you suggest which muscles are tight here? the ones which are limiting my movement.

 

thanks a lot,

Nick

Hi NIck the ability to flex to the side depends:

-for the most on the hips positioning: ppt makes the exercise harder, the neutral position makes it easier;

-internal upper leg rotation makes the exercise harder while a neutral position makes it easier;

-tight obliques, quadratus lomborum, glutes, abs, latissimus Doris, traps, adductor makes it harder.

Nick Goddard

Thanks Alessandro. Exactly what I needed to know.