This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Korean dips

Started by Gary Yngve, May 23, 2020 · 7 Replies · 114 Views

Gary Yngve

I managed to find two parks within a 15-minute bike ride that was not locked up and had suitable equipment for overhand Korean dips.  
First part is mostly front view, second is mostly side view.
It takes me usually one or two to get into the rhythm of it.  One thing that I noticed is that it feels very dynamic.  If I stop at the bottom, it feels like I will collide my butt with the bar on the way back up.  And trying to stop up top for longer than it takes to lock elbows feels like I'm tilting forward, and I'd risk falling backward if I got a little more upright/stable.  Is this dynamic movement intended?

 

Alessandro Mainente
19 hours ago, Gary Yngve said:

I managed to find two parks within a 15-minute bike ride that was not locked up and had suitable equipment for overhand Korean dips.  
First part is mostly front view, second is mostly side view.
It takes me usually one or two to get into the rhythm of it.  One thing that I noticed is that it feels very dynamic.  If I stop at the bottom, it feels like I will collide my butt with the bar on the way back up.  And trying to stop up top for longer than it takes to lock elbows feels like I'm tilting forward, and I'd risk falling backward if I got a little more upright/stable.  Is this dynamic movement intended?

 

HI gary, first goal NEVER bend your knees.

Gary Yngve

Thanks!  How are they now?  I think I am still bending my knees slightly (on video, but it didn't feel like it when I was trying to keep them straight while arching).  I know I have a lot of mobility work due to hip flexors and quads built up through years bicycling without serious stretching.

 

Alessandro Mainente
19 hours ago, Gary Yngve said:

Thanks!  How are they now?  I think I am still bending my knees slightly (on video, but it didn't feel like it when I was trying to keep them straight while arching).  I know I have a lot of mobility work due to hip flexors and quads built up through years bicycling without serious stretching.

 

You got more confidence in the dynamic range of motion. now if you want to go deeper you need to extend more all the spine and lockout your knees...if you don't do it you have to sacrifice the range of motion or the technique.

Gary Yngve

I'm having a lot of fun with these now, swinging quite a bit more.  The transition from overhand to underhand wasn't hard.  I still have a little knees bent, because I sometimes clip the pedals with my feet if fully straight.  I need to bring some rope to pull the pedals away.
 

 

Alessandro Mainente
15 hours ago, Gary Yngve said:

I'm having a lot of fun with these now, swinging quite a bit more.  The transition from overhand to underhand wasn't hard.  I still have a little knees bent, because I sometimes clip the pedals with my feet if fully straight.  I need to bring some rope to pull the pedals away.
 

 

As you can see you can do it...next time use the prone grip to increase technique rather than changing to the supine variation.

Gary Yngve

How is the technique looking here?  5x5 reps prone grip, 2x5 reps supine grip, but then I'm feeling tired, especially in my wrists/forearms.
I'm really trying to lock my knees by engaging the quads, but it seems like I still slightly bend them (though much better than before).  Maybe my hip flexors are too tight?  Or just a matter of training my nerves/muscles to have arched back but straight legs?
Thanks!
 

 

Alessandro Mainente
11 hours ago, Gary Yngve said:

How is the technique looking here?  5x5 reps prone grip, 2x5 reps supine grip, but then I'm feeling tired, especially in my wrists/forearms.
I'm really trying to lock my knees by engaging the quads, but it seems like I still slightly bend them (though much better than before).  Maybe my hip flexors are too tight?  Or just a matter of training my nerves/muscles to have arched back but straight legs?
Thanks!
 

 

Generally speaking, they are ok, try to uniform the reps. you can see on your own that sometimes you swing higher.... sometimes lower atc.