This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handstand form check please

Started by Hiroyuki Tanaka, May 23, 2020 · 7 Replies · 105 Views

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Hi, I have a question.

Which handstand form is the good one?

1st one is my usual handstand. No full shoulders extension, focusing on balance.

2nd one is full shoulders extension handstand. Focusing on shoulders extension. I feel like I'm leaning forward too much.

3rd one is ppt handstand. Focusing on ppt as if I'm piking, which I find not aesthetically good.

Alessandro Mainente
3 hours ago, Hiroyuki Tanaka said:

Hi, I have a question.

Which handstand form is the good one?

1st one is my usual handstand. No full shoulders extension, focusing on balance.

2nd one is full shoulders extension handstand. Focusing on shoulders extension. I feel like I'm leaning forward too much.

3rd one is ppt handstand. Focusing on ppt as if I'm piking, which I find not aesthetically good.

Hey Hiroyuki, the second one. full flexion....your handstand is beautiful.

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Okay, thank you. But may I ask you why not the 1st one? I've heard that the good handstand should have one straight line.

And when I draw a line, 1st one looks straight, I mean, from center of toe to wrist. But the 2nd one goes off from from line at knee.530730172_Screenshot_2020-05-23-22-54-592.thumb.png.d91d46f9f46a3c541d21656f6e100890.png1152277379_Screenshot_2020-05-23-22-55-083.thumb.png.ae588057ed37f37a5377bd867e85f1c9.png

Alessandro Mainente
On 5/23/2020 at 12:30 PM, Hiroyuki Tanaka said:

Okay, thank you. But may I ask you why not the 1st one? I've heard that the good handstand should have one straight line.

And when I draw a line, 1st one looks straight, I mean, from center of toe to wrist. But the 2nd one goes off from from line at knee.530730172_Screenshot_2020-05-23-22-54-592.thumb.png.d91d46f9f46a3c541d21656f6e100890.png1152277379_Screenshot_2020-05-23-22-55-083.thumb.png.ae588057ed37f37a5377bd867e85f1c9.png

Because without full flexion some of your weigth lies on the shoulder joint connective tissue rather than on muscle.

Hiroyuki Tanaka
6 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Because without full flexion some of your weigth lies on the shoulder joint connective tissue rather than on muscle.

Thank you. So, full flexion is necessary for the injury prevention, am I right, right?

Then I'll do with full flexion. Thank you as always.

Alessandro Mainente

Yes, not a case when gymnasts learn to hop to handstand like in vault or pbars or floor exercise without full flexion they finish to damage shoulder cartilage.

Hiroyuki Tanaka
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Yes, not a case when gymnasts learn to hop to handstand like in vault or pbars or floor exercise without full flexion they finish to damage shoulder cartilage.

Thank you. I have One last question.

Is HS/SE14im mobility work specific for shoulder flexion? If not, are there any shoulder flexion specific exercise? 

Alessandro Mainente

Full shoulder flexion if you have the mobility and you have it...is achieved by doing shoulder flexion.