These are on rings because I don't have access to a suitable pull-up bar. I do realize that I need to pause at the bottom of each. Bad habit, because I am often trying to blast through them before a kid turns them into weighted pullups.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Gary Yngve, May 21, 2020 · 5 Replies · 84 Views
These are on rings because I don't have access to a suitable pull-up bar. I do realize that I need to pause at the bottom of each. Bad habit, because I am often trying to blast through them before a kid turns them into weighted pullups.
Make sure that you relax your shoulders completely at the bottom of each rep while keeping your core engaged. Try to make a straight line from your hands to your butt at the bottom of each rep.
Thanks! I think I've been doing pullup/chin-up reps wrong my whole life then, skipping out on the scapular retraction step for all but the first... That will be a good 30+ years of undoing the habit "let's crank out a bunch really quickly".
On the plus side, I found the a pull-up bar that hadn't been removed or otherwise marked as "illegal to use" (I wiped the bar with a disinfecting wipe before using). I'm pleased with my ROM in the first two sets; I tire later but still easily get chin above bar. It looks like I am doing a better job of remembering to relax the shoulders at the bottom, as the L-sit dips a few degrees.
Good improvement. Keep focusing on relaxing those shoulders at the bottom of every rep, even as you get tired. I recommend taking a few steps back to the point where you are able to complete your reps with full ROM while keeping your feet at belly button level.
How do these look? L-sit is higher and I maintain the L-sit through the descent of the final rep. Still, it seems I have some work to do in shoulder flexion mobility that prevents a straight line from hands to shoulders to hips. Thanks!
You're spot on, Gary. Nice improvement on the L-sit. I would actually like you to bring them back down a little bit. Try to find a happy-medium between this position and your last post. And like you said, keep working on extending your shoulders completely on each rep!