Looking for a form check on the Planche Lean. Pajamas are a bit baggy, so not the best visibility of hip angle. Is hand width right and lean far enough? And hollow enough but not piking?
Thanks!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Gary, May 12, 2020 · 15 Replies · 140 Views
Looking for a form check on the Planche Lean. Pajamas are a bit baggy, so not the best visibility of hip angle. Is hand width right and lean far enough? And hollow enough but not piking?
Thanks!
On 5/12/2020 at 7:51 AM, Gary Yngve said:Looking for a form check on the Planche Lean. Pajamas are a bit baggy, so not the best visibility of hip angle. Is hand width right and lean far enough? And hollow enough but not piking?
Thanks!
Hey Gary, well the amount of lean is probably enouugh but we need to restore the form so...we are going to work on some details:
-first shoulder depression. i want to see your lats more engaged;
-second: hips should be a bit lower;
-third: legs together;
-4th the most important! RELAX YOUR FEET. you do not have to use the feet to reduce the tendency to fall forward. USE YOUR SHOULDERS.
Thanks for the feedback!
Legs together was an easy fix.
Relaxing the feet seems harder than it should be... I wonder if it is a bad habit from climbing. Maybe I should practice leaning a little less until the feet cooperate.
I got my hips lower, but it feels harder to keep them lower while maintaining PPT.
I tried to focus on shoulder depression. I wonder if it would be a better tactic to engage the shoulder depression before tilting forward and hold it, or not engage it until already forward.
Two attempts from today:
12 hours ago, Gary Yngve said:Thanks for the feedback!
Legs together was an easy fix.
Relaxing the feet seems harder than it should be... I wonder if it is a bad habit from climbing. Maybe I should practice leaning a little less until the feet cooperate.
I got my hips lower, but it feels harder to keep them lower while maintaining PPT.
I tried to focus on shoulder depression. I wonder if it would be a better tactic to engage the shoulder depression before tilting forward and hold it, or not engage it until already forward.
Two attempts from today:
Hey Gary i definitely think that you need to lean less for both learnings how to use the shoulder for depression and how to use the shoulder to resist the fall and not the feet.
Thanks for the advice! I think leaning less definitely helped. How does the form look here? The lean starts at 0:18, I lean further at 0:34, and I lean further at 0:46, and again at 0:53, which I cannot hold.
14 hours ago, Gary Yngve said:Thanks for the advice! I think leaning less definitely helped. How does the form look here? The lean starts at 0:18, I lean further at 0:34, and I lean further at 0:46, and again at 0:53, which I cannot hold.
HI Gary after looking at your attempt i think that i need to check the previous exercise is an order to assist basic scapular activation because if they are not automatic at this stage is because they were not mastered correctly. so i'm gonna ask you to post bot straight arm plank and single-arm plank mastery.
Thanks. I tried plank a few times and it seems I lack some self-awareness on what exactly my spine and hips are doing (maybe I should get a mirror so that I can adjust immediately rather than afterward). Posture-wise, I think I have APT, likely from cycling / quads and from too much sitting at work, so focusing too much on PPT is making me pike a bit. This is what I ended up with, focusing on shoulder protraction, ribcage toward ceiling, straight line down the rest of the way. Looks like plank is ok, but I lose some form during the 1-handed plank?
21 hours ago, Gary Yngve said:Thanks. I tried plank a few times and it seems I lack some self-awareness on what exactly my spine and hips are doing (maybe I should get a mirror so that I can adjust immediately rather than afterward). Posture-wise, I think I have APT, likely from cycling / quads and from too much sitting at work, so focusing too much on PPT is making me pike a bit. This is what I ended up with, focusing on shoulder protraction, ribcage toward ceiling, straight line down the rest of the way. Looks like plank is ok, but I lose some form during the 1-handed plank?
Can you post a video where you show some elevation and depression in the plank position?
Thanks for the continued feedback. Here is some shoulder movement and plank, with lean at the end. I figured out how to side-by-side with overhead view, which may be helpful for identifying what parts of the video have better form than other parts.
13 hours ago, Gary Yngve said:Thanks for the continued feedback. Here is some shoulder movement and plank, with lean at the end. I figured out how to side-by-side with overhead view, which may be helpful for identifying what parts of the video have better form than other parts.
OK....so we have a problem about terminology...you are actually showing retraction and protraction while depression and elevation mean "shoulders to the ears and the opposite".
6 hours ago, Gary Yngve said:
Better...but notice that at 16 seconds as you reach the highest lean...yuo lose the depression and protraction. you need to lean less and get comfortable with the scapulae activation.
I think I found the right level of lean from 0:32 to 0:44 (before not enough, after too much).
Also the mobility is interesting... it feels like I have my knees bent 120 degrees, but they aren't even bent 90 degrees! And if I try to go any wider, massive cramping laterally in the butt/hip muscles.
10 hours ago, Gary Yngve said:I think I found the right level of lean from 0:32 to 0:44 (before not enough, after too much).
Also the mobility is interesting... it feels like I have my knees bent 120 degrees, but they aren't even bent 90 degrees! And if I try to go any wider, massive cramping laterally in the butt/hip muscles.
Once you increase the lean you lose completely the depression and the protraction. you should work beginning from 15'' not more.
ALso even with the less lean you can still increase the protraction.
I think I'm starting to get the hang of the protraction. How does this look? Thanks!
5 hours ago, Gary Yngve said:I think I'm starting to get the hang of the protraction. How does this look? Thanks!
Definitely much better....can you compare your first video on the post and see the differences? nice job..really