This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Program Modifications for Spinal Fusion

Started by James O'Boyle, May 11, 2020 · 5 Replies · 84 Views

James O'Boyle

Hi Coaches,

I've been a little frustrated with my progress in some of the core exercises because of my mobility limitations.  I have a fused spine from L3-T1 (14 vertebrae including the entire thoracic spine).  FL PE2 and MN PE1 iM have been huge struggles for me.  If I try to push past my current ROM in MN PE1, it aggravates my fusion and my back ends up hurting as a result.  In FL PE2, I am unable to "rock" in the same manner as the course video, and over time this exercise has also started to aggravate my fusion and cause pain (even after I started performing them on a thicker mat).  I had a similar issue with Deck Squats and I ended up just skipping them.  My question is--should I simply skip FL PE2 and MN PE1 iMs considering my limitations and since they are causing me pain? 

Thanks,

James

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey James,

In your case it isn't reasonable to expect flawless form and perfection on many exercises because of your fusion. It's not possible to give more than your best, especially when your body physically won't let you. If after giving things a shot you aren't able to do an exercise because of your back, move on.

On MN/PE1, complete your sets and reps with as much ROM as you are able without aggravating your back. If it gets worse, skip it. On your FL work, go ahead and skip the rocking variations. Instead, continue to work the static variation at mastery volume while mastering the iM for the rocking variation.

James O'Boyle

@Jeffrey Bittner Hi Jeffrey--

Awesome, such a relief to hear you say that.  I think I need to be a little more flexible with my programming and not push it with exercises where I feel like I'm running into a wall (and hurting myself) because of the fusion. 

That said, I'm going to move on to MN PE2 and see what kind of form I'm capable of.  I may simply progress to the 1/2 hanging leg lifts which seem much more doable for me in terms of the mobility required.

For the SL series, the Arch Ups are giving me similar issues --I'm going to experiment with moving on to SL PE7 and see how that feels.

Thanks again, Jeffrey!

Jeffrey Bittner

That sounds like a great plan!

Coach Sommer consistently talks about the process of becoming a mature athlete. Part of that process is learning to listen to your body and knowing when to shut things down and move on. In my personal opinion, that's the most difficult part of the entire process, but it seems like you're doing a great job at distinguishing discomfort from injury. You've been making some great progress so far, keep it up!

James O'Boyle

@Jeffrey Bittner  I know what you mean..  I find it extremely difficult to walk away sometimes.  It's like the reverse of the "80/20" rule (the idea where you get 80% of your results from 20% of your efforts).  There are some things where you put in 80% effort and only get back 20%--and these are the things that end up injuring you or wasting your time if you don't weed them out.

Kevin Chaussee

Great topic @James O'Boyle! I am really happy you brought this issue up.  I have not had a fusion, but I have old compression fractures at T3 and T10 along with an 18 degree scoliosis.  Not to mention I'm in my 50's. I love this program, but I seem to be limited so much by upper back pain that I usually stop.  I have ignorantly tried to blast through some exercises at the expense of pain. I had been too embarrassed to reach out to the coaches and discuss modifications.  @Jeffrey Bittner really did a nice job of explaining the concept of becoming a mature athlete as recommended by @Coach Sommer.  In no way am I looking for a free pass, but I really have a sense of encouragement to analyze each exercise that is next in the progression, give it an honest try and if it is unreasonable from a pain standpoint, consider looking at alternative exercises.