This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL PE1 Scap Pushups Help

Started by Caspersen Edouard, May 11, 2020 · 1 Replies · 27 Views

Caspersen Edouard

Hi,

I need some advice on my scap pushups.
When i perform them i have the common issue of shoulders moving forward and elbows bending a little. I tried doing it with the fingers pointing sideways which take care of the elbow bending but i feel i can't protract as much as when my fingers are pointed forward. What is funny is that i don't have an issue when doing pushups now that i fixed my PPT.
I lose Scapula ROM rather quickly so i may need to do a scaled down version at first. I read several times that the serratus anterior is best activated when the arms are overhead. So i wonder if i would be better off doing scap pushups on knees or scap pushups on an incline (but that would mean my arms are underneath me which defeats the action of the SA).
Also i noticed that when i focus on positioning my arms a bit in front of me so my shoulders are over the heel of my palms (instead of slightly in front of my hands like in a pushup) my elbows don't bend.
Finally, i would like to know if anyone had any tips on how can i increase scap ROMS and strength with other exercises. I have a decent retraction when doing rows, it is mainly a protraction strength deficit.

Here are a few clips to compare ROM and technique between regular scap pushups, scap pushups on knees and scap pushups on an incline.

 

 

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Caspersen Edouard said:

Hi,

I need some advice on my scap pushups.
When i perform them i have the common issue of shoulders moving forward and elbows bending a little. I tried doing it with the fingers pointing sideways which take care of the elbow bending but i feel i can't protract as much as when my fingers are pointed forward. What is funny is that i don't have an issue when doing pushups now that i fixed my PPT.
I lose Scapula ROM rather quickly so i may need to do a scaled down version at first. I read several times that the serratus anterior is best activated when the arms are overhead. So i wonder if i would be better off doing scap pushups on knees or scap pushups on an incline (but that would mean my arms are underneath me which defeats the action of the SA).
Also i noticed that when i focus on positioning my arms a bit in front of me so my shoulders are over the heel of my palms (instead of slightly in front of my hands like in a pushup) my elbows don't bend.
Finally, i would like to know if anyone had any tips on how can i increase scap ROMS and strength with other exercises. I have a decent retraction when doing rows, it is mainly a protraction strength deficit.

Here are a few clips to compare ROM and technique between regular scap pushups, scap pushups on knees and scap pushups on an incline.

 

 

Hey Edouard, well shoulder lean is very common and i would say...natural.

On the other side, the bending at the elbows can due to many factors but it can be fixed by focusing on squeezing the triceps. my suggestion is doing the exercise in a quadrupedal position rather than elevating the hands because this second option changes how muscles are activated in regards to gravity. we must improve the activation while holding a horizontal position.