Straddle Technique Question

Started by Bryan Stephens, April 26, 2020 · 7 Replies · 2,778 Views

Bryan Stephens

Hey GBs! 

I was hoping you might be able to clarify a technique question I have with the middle split/ straddle. I have to use blocks to elevate my hips to keep my spine neutral and my abduction angle is only about 45*

  1. Where should my knees point?
  2. Should I be externally rotating at the hips to point the knees laterally or should they be pointed vertically?

Thanks in advance!

 

Alessandro Mainente
18 hours ago, Bryan Stephens said:

Hey GBs! 

I was hoping you might be able to clarify a technique question I have with the middle split/ straddle. I have to use blocks to elevate my hips to keep my spine neutral and my abduction angle is only about 45*

  1. Where should my knees point?
  2. Should I be externally rotating at the hips to point the knees laterally or should they be pointed vertically?

Thanks in advance!

 

Hi Bryan , the correct side split is performed with full internal rotation.

MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ
7 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Bryan , the correct side split is performed with full internal rotation.

Thats...pointing to the ceiling?

Alessandro Mainente

No, they should point forward.

MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ
4 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

No, they should point forward.

Nice, I have been doing them wrong all this time:facepalm:

Bryan Stephens

Thank you for the reply Alessandro!

Bill Marr

Hey @Alessandro Mainente

Watching the videos related to pancake work, all the athletes have knees pointing to the ceiling. In HS2, I'm on PE8. The iM instructions are:

       pHS/PE8>iM 5x30s:  1) Knees remain locked, with the feet turned slightly out.

I'm close with chest to floor with knees pointed at ceiling. Do I need to tear apart my form and start all over with knees pointed forward? And if this is the case, why are all the videos not showing this?

I'm confused.

Thanks, Bill

Alessandro Mainente
7 hours ago, Bill Marr said:

Hey @Alessandro Mainente

Watching the videos related to pancake work, all the athletes have knees pointing to the ceiling. In HS2, I'm on PE8. The iM instructions are:

       pHS/PE8>iM 5x30s:  1) Knees remain locked, with the feet turned slightly out.

I'm close with chest to floor with knees pointed at ceiling. Do I need to tear apart my form and start all over with knees pointed forward? And if this is the case, why are all the videos not showing this?

I'm confused.

Thanks, Bill

Notice that the first author of the post was talking about the middle split and not a pancake.