This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

C1 Tuck Up

Started by David George, April 25, 2020 · 11 Replies · 263 Views

David George

Hello guys,

I have taken my progressions right the way back to F1 because I lacked consistency the past few months (I actually got bored because I wasn't progressing). If I take an honest look at my previous efforts overall, I definitely glazed over some of the mobility work and was guilty of cranking out poor reps before moving onto the next progression (doesn't that bite you in the ass?!)

I've taken the majority of my work back to F1 to try and address these issues. I have realised that the movements are a lot harder when you follow all the movement cues... I've been kidding myself, but no more!

On the Tuck Up, I realised my problem isn't strength (I can do 5x60 HBR), it's lack of compression. The movement notes state that you should endeavour to get thighs against the chest. I'm struggling to get my knees anywhere near. The hip is at 90 degrees, but I can't compress further... I tried hugging my knees which gets me another 10 degrees, but obviously that's not using my core to pull them in. Any advice?

Alessandro Mainente
22 minutes ago, David George said:

Hello guys,

I have taken my progressions right the way back to F1 because I lacked consistency the past few months (I actually got bored because I wasn't progressing). If I take an honest look at my previous efforts overall, I definitely glazed over some of the mobility work and was guilty of cranking out poor reps before moving onto the next progression (doesn't that bite you in the ass?!)

I've taken the majority of my work back to F1 to try and address these issues. I have realised that the movements are a lot harder when you follow all the movement cues... I've been kidding myself, but no more!

On the Tuck Up, I realised my problem isn't strength (I can do 5x60 HBR), it's lack of compression. The movement notes state that you should endeavour to get thighs against the chest. I'm struggling to get my knees anywhere near. The hip is at 90 degrees, but I can't compress further... I tried hugging my knees which gets me another 10 degrees, but obviously that's not using my core to pull them in. Any advice?

Hi David.... do you have the stretch series? if yes i have something for you....

David George

Yes I have GB unlimited :)

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, David George said:

Yes I have GB unlimited :)

Hey David...so i have what is helpful for you...

-access the course page;

-look in the top right corner;

-click the dumbell icon;

-select library course;

-select in the new page the stretch course

-select middle split

-Click the icon to the right, the full list of exercise will appear;

-i strongly suggest a daily work with piriformis (you can considering doing in while sitting on a bench for a more gentle variation.

Joel Savell

I haven’t been able to get past MN PE1. I worked on it for 18 months, got pretty close to proper compression for a few reps at one point. That was when I was fully committed and putting in the necessary hours.
 

After a pickup game football knee injury (ACL reconstruction/ meniscus repair) I did pt for a  while, then GB work, then a surfing focused training program. Then I was laid off, focused on job search, related skill growth, and my wife, but neglected my physical health. Now paying the price with L4/L5 herniated disk sciatica, complete with a mild/moderate case of foot drop. 

Desk worker Lifestyle combined with body’s tendencies equals limited ROM in hip flexion.

Part of my sciatica PT/rehab is Piriformis stretching & myofascial release. I think it will be a good idea to get back on Foundation and focus on my mobility  deficiencies, particularly MN PE1, HS1 PE2 iM, and SP PE1 iM.

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Joel Savell said:

I haven’t been able to get past MN PE1. I worked on it for 18 months, got pretty close to proper compression for a few reps at one point. That was when I was fully committed and putting in the necessary hours.
 

After a pickup game football knee injury (ACL reconstruction/ meniscus repair) I did pt for a  while, then GB work, then a surfing focused training program. Then I was laid off, focused on job search, related skill growth, and my wife, but neglected my physical health. Now paying the price with L4/L5 herniated disk sciatica, complete with a mild/moderate case of foot drop. 

Desk worker Lifestyle combined with body’s tendencies equals limited ROM in hip flexion.

Part of my sciatica PT/rehab is Piriformis stretching & myofascial release. I think it will be a good idea to get back on Foundation and focus on my mobility  deficiencies, particularly MN PE1, HS1 PE2 iM, and SP PE1 iM.

Hi Joel, the biggest problem concerned with hips flexion is poor internal rotation due to super tight glutes. the main work for fix this problem is using swivel hips as a stretching exercise where you lie with your back into the wall and you use your hand to push the knee inside.

Joel Savell
36 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Joel, the biggest problem concerned with hips flexion is poor internal rotation due to super tight glutes. the main work for fix this problem is using swivel hips as a stretching exercise where you lie with your back into the wall and you use your hand to push the knee inside.

OK, thanks Alessandro, I will try that.  Thanks for the tip!

Joel Savell

I'm even tighter than I thought.  I have virtually zero ROM for active internal hip rotation, when I'm in the swivel hips starting position with back against the wall. When pushing with my hand, I feel it more in my hip adductors, and my glutes feel almost immovable.  I tried practicing active internal rotation while seated in a desk chair, and I can feel the stretch in my glutes that way.  I might need to scale the exercise for a while until I build up enough mobility for the swivel hips to be effective on floor with back against the wall.

Alessandro Mainente
12 hours ago, Joel Savell said:

I'm even tighter than I thought.  I have virtually zero ROM for active internal hip rotation, when I'm in the swivel hips starting position with back against the wall. When pushing with my hand, I feel it more in my hip adductors, and my glutes feel almost immovable.  I tried practicing active internal rotation while seated in a desk chair, and I can feel the stretch in my glutes that way.  I might need to scale the exercise for a while until I build up enough mobility for the swivel hips to be effective on floor with back against the wall.

It can take months.....many months... sometimes years...you should include this stretch in all the days.

Joel Savell
15 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

It can take months.....many months... sometimes years...you should include this stretch in all the days.

OK, understood.  I will do the stretch every day.  Thanks again for the help.

Joel Savell

Update: been doing the internal hip rotation/ swivel hips wall stretch every day (been 4 months already!) along with other IHR stretches and exercises. I have seen slow incremental improvement: Maybe 10 degrees or so. Looks like this is going to take me years, as you warned.  
 

The good news is that even this small improvement is carrying over into my every day life. Hips and core are feeling more mobile and healthier. My surfing pop ups are becoming easier, which is my main goal. Still a long way to go; I wish I had put more focus on internal hip rotation years ago.

 

Alessandro Mainente
Joel Savell said:
21 hours ago, Joel Savell said:

Update: been doing the internal hip rotation/ swivel hips wall stretch every day (been 4 months already!) along with other IHR stretches and exercises. I have seen slow incremental improvement: Maybe 10 degrees or so. Looks like this is going to take me years, as you warned.  
 

The good news is that even this small improvement is carrying over into my every day life. Hips and core are feeling more mobile and healthier. My surfing pop ups are becoming easier, which is my main goal. Still a long way to go; I wish I had put more focus on internal hip rotation years ago.

 

Welcome to the club, my friend.