A workout to reach my goals?

Started by Chris Hansen, May 23, 2010 · 2 Replies · 2,087 Views

Chris Hansen

Hello,

I'm hoping someone could help me set up a workout plan to help reach my short-term goals.

Here are my goals and where I am with them:

Headstand Push-ups - I can do partials but my progress has kind of stalled. For the last couple of weeks I've been doing the box HeSPUs from BtGB for sets of 3-5.

Pistols - Goals is 3x5, right now I'm at 3x3 on a good day.

Pull-ups - Goal is 3x5, right now I can do 1x4, 2x3 on a good day.

Push-ups - Goal is a set of 20, right now I can do 10 - 12.

Hold a bridge with 1 hand - Currently, I can push up into a bridge and take most of the weight off one hand.

Deadlift - I had a form issue that I figured out. My goal now is not to increase the weight but just to make my form really solid. I suppose that would mean getting as much practice as possible without wearing myself out (gtg?)?

L-sit - I've been working on it and it's getting better, I just want to make it really solid.

I plan to use running and kicking the heavy bag for conditioning. My preference would be to have a short workout I can do 5-6 days per week.

I guess my questions are: How often and for how much volume could pistols, pull-ups and HeSPUs be worked for maximum progress? How often can bridges and l-sits be worked, would 4-5 days per week be too much? Where could higher rep exercises like push-ups fit in? Besides working the exercises themselves, is there anything that could help speed progress?

braindx

Strength work for a beginner I wouldn't exceed 3-4x a week with those movements.

For less intensive movements, stretching/mobility, or skill movements such as bridges, handstands, etc. you can work them everyday. L-sits fall more along these lines.

High reps only if you want to work endurance... put them last in a routine generally.

Remember, you get stronger/bigger/etc. when you REST and recover. Not by continually working out so you beat yourself down.

Ortprod

with the deadlift-

take 50% of your 1rm and work the form every time you warmup. something like 3 sets with 50% or less. The rest will come with training. I totally agree with BraindX about the mobility work. warmup with high reps of EASY mobility drills.