This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

vsit active pike flexibility

Started by Felipe Garcia Rosa, April 9, 2020 · 5 Replies · 111 Views

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hi Coaches,

Can you recommend a way to increase my active pike flexibility for the vsit? Passively, I mean on the floor, I can get chest to my legs, but not even half in vups or vsits.

I ve been doing leg raises for long time and only helps me on Lsits, straddle Ls or MS holds, but I want to pull legs very close to my chest, so it applies to vsits and potentially manna.

Thanks and be safe,

Felipe

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Anything on this? Thank you,

Felipe

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Feli, I recommend doing some extra hip flexor work. MN/SE1>iM is a great one to start with. I normally require my athletes to do 5r right leg, 5r left leg, 5r both legs, holding the 5th rep for 5 seconds on each. You can do the same thing in a straddle as in MN/SE9>iM.

Alessandro Mainente
On 4/9/2020 at 4:42 PM, Felipe Garcia Rosa said:

Hi Coaches,

Can you recommend a way to increase my active pike flexibility for the vsit? Passively, I mean on the floor, I can get chest to my legs, but not even half in vups or vsits.

I ve been doing leg raises for long time and only helps me on Lsits, straddle Ls or MS holds, but I want to pull legs very close to my chest, so it applies to vsits and potentially manna.

Thanks and be safe,

Felipe

Keep in mind that the limiting factor for the Vsit is the shoulder extension. i had a gymnast who wasn't not able to touch hi feet from a standing position with straight legs...but he had the vsit..why? because manna and vsit are shoulder extension dominant.

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Thanks for the feedback @Jeffrey Bittner and @Alessandro Mainente,

Jeffrey, I will focus on the pike one vs the straddle one since I think that applies more to manna, sounds right to you?

Alex, I have been focusing on strong external rotation, depression and retraction during my manna wall slides and I feel improved a lot. I applied kind of the reverse of what I was doing for planche, which was protracting strongly, to the manna, retracting strongly. I assume that shoulder extension = external rotation + retraction + depression, right?

This is a video playing with the vsit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ktby4py4ee57jq/Video Apr 15%2C 8 18 19 PM.mov?dl=0

How does it look?

Thanks and be safe,

Felipe

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, Felipe Garcia Rosa said:

Thanks for the feedback @Jeffrey Bittner and @Alessandro Mainente,

Jeffrey, I will focus on the pike one vs the straddle one since I think that applies more to manna, sounds right to you?

Alex, I have been focusing on strong external rotation, depression and retraction during my manna wall slides and I feel improved a lot. I applied kind of the reverse of what I was doing for planche, which was protracting strongly, to the manna, retracting strongly. I assume that shoulder extension = external rotation + retraction + depression, right?

This is a video playing with the vsit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ktby4py4ee57jq/Video Apr 15%2C 8 18 19 PM.mov?dl=0

How does it look?

Thanks and be safe,

Felipe

Yes you are right. reaching manna requires a lot....really a lot.