This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rotating arm for a straighter handstand

Started by Nick Goddard, March 29, 2020 · 9 Replies · 258 Views

Nick Goddard

Could you recommend a stretch to help external rotation of my arms?
 

To help with pointing my elbows forward whilst in a handstand.

Thanks,

nick

Alessandro Mainente

Hey NIck it depends strongly on what muscles reduces the internal rotation, in fact, this is the list:

-pec major;

-latissimus dorsi;

-teres major;

-subscapularis.

your situation can be a combination of them. you can create a stretch routine by searching on the web a stretch for me.

Unfortunately i cannot test you in person to there are some limitations also on my suggestions.

Coach Sommer
On 3/29/2020 at 10:46 AM, Nick Goddard said:

Could you recommend a stretch to help external rotation of my arms?
 

To help with pointing my elbows forward whilst in a handstand.

Thanks,

nick

Why in the world would you want to do that?!?

Rather than treating the symptom, let’s address the root cause of the problem as Alex suggests above.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

Nick Goddard

Thanks fo getting back to me.

I think I am in the same scenario with my shoulders that I am with my hips.

Here is my internal rotation:

EA4A224A-26D4-471A-ABC0-C6D481CBEEC3.thumb.jpeg.7b51ebb6753ff75bb34067b25c6c5edb.jpeg

Am I right in thinking that improving my internal rotation will dramatically improve my shoulder flexion?

 

thanks again @Coach Sommer @Alessandro Mainente

Coach Sommer

If someone is continuing to struggle with shoulder flexion, the issue is almost certainly related to tight lats, pecs and biceps in that order.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

Alessandro Mainente
11 hours ago, Nick Goddard said:

Thanks fo getting back to me.

I think I am in the same scenario with my shoulders that I am with my hips.

Here is my internal rotation:

EA4A224A-26D4-471A-ABC0-C6D481CBEEC3.thumb.jpeg.7b51ebb6753ff75bb34067b25c6c5edb.jpeg

Am I right in thinking that improving my internal rotation will dramatically improve my shoulder flexion?

 

thanks again @Coach Sommer @Alessandro Mainente

Please notice that this exercise is a posterior capsule stretch and if not done correctly it is not useful As coach sommer said the lack of internal rotation has very little to do with a handstand.

Nick Goddard

Thanks both. I’ll continue to stretch lats, pecs, biceps.


So I’m wrong here. I guess they feel like they need a good stretch as they’re tight.
 

To make sure it’s the posterior capsule I will depress and retract. Would you say that’s correct form?
 

Cheers,

nick

Nick Goddard

Hi both, is it possible to fix the bent shape (marked in green) of my arm below whilst in handstand?
 

Or is this just the shape of my arm?

thanks,

Nick

 

 

1A8E6632-CD5E-4831-AA2E-50C0AAF50192.jpeg

Coach Sommer

No, it is not.  That is the natural structure of your elbows.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

Nick Goddard

Thanks coach.