This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Internal hip rotation

Started by Nick Goddard, March 29, 2020 · 4 Replies · 103 Views

Nick Goddard

Could someone explain to me which moves are helped by internal hip rotation mobility?
 

For example does it help with going into a pike?

 

Recently I have neglected my hip swivel stretch and my internal rotation got really tight. 
 

thanks in advance,

Nick

 

 

Alessandro Mainente
On 3/29/2020 at 7:42 PM, Nick Goddard said:

Could someone explain to me which moves are helped by internal hip rotation mobility?
 

For example does it help with going into a pike?

 

Recently I have neglected my hip swivel stretch and my internal rotation got really tight. 
 

thanks in advance,

Nick

 

 

If you lose internal rotation you can be potentially limited on every exercise that requires full hips flexion:

-pike;

-pancake;

-tuck lever variation so planche and front lever;

-all the manna progression

-press to handstand variation

-double legged squat and single-leg squat;

-lunges..

....................simply look if the movement has hips flexion...then it's biomechanics can be altered.

Nick Goddard

Thanks Alessandro. Both legs were feeling particularly tight. And over the last 3 days I have been stretching internal rotation and I can feel the hips really loosening up. I felt a plateau happening to my front a split class and I think if I keep adding the internal stretch this will really help a lot.

Just goes to show that you can’t neglect one area as it can hinder the rest of your mobility progress. 

I remember you wrote that hips play a part in shoulder flexion. With regards to PE3. Hopefully this will help my shoulder flexion when I do tucked handstands.

Alessandro Mainente said:

a good reflection on these exercises shows how hips limitation can affect shoulder mobility development. as you progress over the hips mobility work i will always recommend you to try again the IM1 and IM3 on the floor because they reflect a lot the hips mobility improvements.

Nick Goddard

Question, when tensing the quads during a standing pike stretch. Should I be trying to externally rotate the leg whilst it’s tensed? 
 

thanks,

nick

Alessandro Mainente

No, it should be neutral.