This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Starting with intro

Started by Alastair Rhodes, March 23, 2020 · 8 Replies · 200 Views

Alastair Rhodes

Guys 

 

i am a complete beginner and starting with the Into programme. I completed day one last night but obviously i have a long road to be able to successfully complete the ape and crab ! Do i just keep practising as well as complete each day's lesson  or just keep rolling on  through the programme or stick on week one until I can complete the poses a lot easier than i currently can ? 

Any advice would be fantastic and even though i was humbled by the poses i really enjoyed them. 

 

kind regards 

 

Alastair 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Alastair,

The purpose of the Fundamentals course is to help you discover you body's natural strengths and weaknesses while introducing you to basic gymnastic movements. That being said, you are not expected to be able to do everything perfectly the first time. Go ahead and keep progressing through the course. As you move forward, I recommend revisiting any exercises or movements that need some more attention after completing your new lessons.

Trevor Catterall

I was in a similar situation and reflected on why I was struggling. I am overweight, lack cardio, strength and flexibility. I played around with lots of the GymfitTV library to start with just for fun and to see what I could handle and gradually added beginner bodyline and 4 minute core routine from week 5.

I settled on the following. I started with daily limber twice everyday I trained. Then  I stacked each fundamental lesson so day 1 I did fundamental 1 (crab and ape), day 2 I did Fundamental 1 and 2, Day 3 Fundamental 1, 2 and 3 etc until I reached week 2 where I reset but kept the first lesson (fundamental crab and ape as warm up). 
I carried on in this manor adding Fundamental 1 and 6 (frog and stiff bear) as warm ups for Week 3 Days and Fundamentals 1,6 and 11 (lizard) for Week 4 then Week 5 I added inchworm to warmup. 
Without my feeling any extra effort was expended I made gains but most importantly I enjoyed it. 

The last piece of the puzzle was always finishing with one or two restore programmes as they re-energised me. I also completed whatever band routines were required and more if needs be. I was basically training for 30 minutes a day weeks 1-2 and then 45 to 75 minutes through to week8 but at a comfortable pace.
 

I added the Jefferson curl from week 1 with a 12kg kettlebell again because it somehow gave me extra energy.

Im still overweight, not flexible, not strong and out of shape but less so than 9 weeks ago when I started. 

To help people address their weaknesses I have posted a number of link in this forum “Adapting the first 8 weeks.”

Alastair Rhodes

Trevor another question I'm sorry, does the fundamental program keep repeating? Week 2 looks the same as week 1.

Thanks Alastair 

Alessandro Mainente
13 hours ago, Alastair Rhodes said:

Trevor another question I'm sorry, does the fundamental program keep repeating? Week 2 looks the same as week 1.

Thanks Alastair 

yes it is.

Alastair Rhodes

Thanks Alastair 

Mike Kelly
On 3/30/2020 at 4:12 AM, Alastair Rhodes said:

Trevor another question I'm sorry, does the fundamental program keep repeating? Week 2 looks the same as week 1.

Thanks Alastair 

Hi

I also just started and had the same questions as you.  I learned that you have to go to class finder page>click "choose your plan">manually advance program to the next week.

If you don't do this you will be on week 1 forever :)

Coach Sommer
2 hours ago, Mike Kelly said:

... I learned that you have to go to class finder page>click "choose your plan">manually advance program to the next week ... If you don't do this you will be on week 1 forever :)

A ‘one size fits all’ program really means that it doesn’t fit most people as everyone progresses at different rates.

Once you have completed the introductory program and have advanced to the main courses, you will have the ability to adjust reps, sets and exercise selection based upon your individual needs.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

Alastair Rhodes

Guys thanks so much for your help. It all makes sense now. Regards Alastair