This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wall handstand

Started by Eloy Bote, March 20, 2020 · 12 Replies · 129 Views

Eloy Bote

Hi guys,

Whenever I try to get as close as possible to the wall during handstand I think my arms are not anymore aligned with my shoulders. I show you two attempts I made today during the confinement on my house.

 

I do it like my coach always says, chest in! But I can't make it in anymore :(

For your information I have some degree of elbow hyperextension.

Alessandro Mainente
4 hours ago, Eloy Bote said:

Hi guys,

Whenever I try to get as close as possible to the wall during handstand I think my arms are not anymore aligned with my shoulders. I show you two attempts I made today during the confinement on my house.

 

I do it like my coach always says, chest in! But I can't make it in anymore :(

For your information I have some degree of elbow hyperextension.

Damn Elyoy...38'' first video....is perfect.

Eloy Bote
2 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Damn Elyoy...38'' first video....is perfect.

Really!? You've made my day!

Alessandro Mainente

Yes definitely. the impression of the bent elbows is due to the full scapulae rotation and posterior tilt that leads to full external rotation of the upper arm.

Eloy Bote
On 3/21/2020 at 12:31 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Yes definitely. the impression of the bent elbows is due to the full scapulae rotation and posterior tilt that leads to full external rotation of the upper arm.

Alessandro, how do you balance with full shoulder flexion? I'm moving away from the wall but with shoulders fully opened I can't use them to balance, now I understand why people don't open the shoulders, it's so much easy.

Alessandro Mainente

This is the longest part of the journey. once the single joints are aligned you do not need to much balance. the balance comes from both forearms, shoulder, and spine. if you tend to planche you need to correct with shoulder, if you tend to bridge you must correct with the spine.

Eloy Bote
13 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

This is the longest part of the journey. once the single joints are aligned you do not need to much balance. the balance comes from both forearms, shoulder, and spine. if you tend to planche you need to correct with shoulder, if you tend to bridge you must correct with the spine.

Yes it's going to be hard. With the wall you just rest the weight against the wall and there is no need to balance. With no wall you must find the perfect line, tiny adjustments make significant balance change. Let's see how the progressions work, the one with the forearms against the pommel horse seems to help a bit, maybe I need something taller at the beginning haha.

Eloy Bote

I'm trying the forearm handstand thing and seems impossible to keep the same form as the wall handstand :(

 

 

 

I find it even easier with no support on the forearms, why?

 

I feel I fall to the wall (stomach), maybe I need to keep working on my hip flexors? As long as I remember the hips should be open during handstand, and with my thight hips that would make my lower back arch.

Alessandro Mainente
20 hours ago, Eloy Bote said:

I'm trying the forearm handstand thing and seems impossible to keep the same form as the wall handstand :(

 

 

 

I find it even easier with no support on the forearms, why?

 

I feel I fall to the wall (stomach), maybe I need to keep working on my hip flexors? As long as I remember the hips should be open during handstand, and with my thight hips that would make my lower back arch.

Before reaching the free-standing you MUST position first reach full shoulder flexion, reach the correct hips position stacked over the wrists...then freestanding.

Eloy Bote
9 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Before reaching the free-standing you MUST position first reach full shoulder flexion, reach the correct hips position stacked over the wrists...then freestanding.

Any tips on that Alessandro? In the No forearm handstand attempt 1 video I do the full flexion around the second 13, it's the same position than my wall handstand videos of the first post, but as I try to balance I lose that position... maybe do it with the back against the wall?

In the course library videos I see that the heels go past the vertical line, that happens to me too when I extend the hips and then I freak out thinking I'm breaking the line. But I always see people doing that so I assume that is not bad, right? This is Dave Durante teaching how to correct the alignment, very strong but well he was an olympic gymnast.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Look at 33 seconds on the first video of this discussion. your handstand alignment should be always like that.

Eloy Bote
On 5/24/2020 at 7:50 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Look at 33 seconds on the first video of this discussion. your handstand alignment should be always like that.

I wish I could do that without the wall haha.

Should I extend the hips? I often hear that the hips should be extended during handstand in order to lock the body as one piece.

Alessandro Mainente

You will learn to correct the line time over time...handstand is a refinement process.