Thumbs Around Bar Or Not

Started by jamesters, May 22, 2010 · 5 Replies · 3,176 Views

jamesters

Does it matter where you put your thumbs on the bar? I like to have my thumb around the bar because it feels to give a stronger grip, but I've heard some say having thumbs over the bar is better for giants and the sort? Does it matter? Is it skill specific or maybe personal preference?

Gregor

Natural grip! So that means around the bar (for that is why you have a thumb).

Question: what feels better to hold a hammer?

Razz

Except for some high level skills I believe you grip only with fingertips to gain more speed

jamesters

Different advice, now I'm confused. :oops:

Razz

sorry. Follow Gregors advice! If you did what I told you, you would be high enough level to know the difference either way :wink: My advice was only for high level release moves........

Blairbob

I have never heard of any men's gymnasts not using an opposed grip for swing work on the men's bar. Most girl's and girl's coaches teach and train and overgrip with a thumb on top of the bar.

I think this is mainly due to the fact the bar is wide.

I was working one arm hang turn to eagle the other day in my WU (not a swing, just hang on the bar) and noticed an opposed grip isn't so comfortable with my hands. It's doable but not preferred. When my hands are sore from swing work and I need to continue to do leg lifts and pullups, I'll typically use an overgrip on the girl's bar sometimes.