stiff, sore, or injured? :(

Started by Gerald Mangona, May 22, 2010 · 5 Replies · 3,054 Views

Gerald Mangona

The tendon attaching my left tricep to my elbow joint is sore after working ring support and ring push-ups today. For that matter, so is the rest of the tricep. It's not pain in any sharp, acute, "holy sh** my elbow is on fire" kind of way. It's more like a dull, DOMS-like soreness. Like I could do dips right now and it wouldn't really hurt.

Knuckling trigger points in my upper left tricep gives relief, though temporary. Same with doing elbow stretches. (Though I'm at full ROM of the elbow stretch behind my head, and it barely, barely hits the tendons.)

Simple question:

Is this tendonitis? Or am I just sore, like DOMS?

If it is tendonitis, how many weeks off?

And can I continue doing pulling exercises and curling exercises in the meantime? Please say yes so I don't have to pack the rings away for the next month.

Frustrated.

Jerry

Nick Van Bockxmeer

probably not tendonitis and I wouldn't actually take any time off (as such), just get some active recovery going. Basically some really light stuff with high reps that stretches the muscle and a lot of massage.

There have been a lot of times when I thought man my X is dead I hope I am not overdoing it badly but you can just adjust ur training a bit, work it through and be back to full strength in a couple of days or a week. For some reason I tend to get my triceps hammered often as well and all you can do is cut out the heavy stuff but dont drop everything. Exercise actually helps recovery so you just need to pick some things you can do painlessly to promote healing, eat and sleep and work out other areas.

Gerald Mangona

Sweet.

So far you're right. Lots of massage, ART have hit the spot. Reduced FBE volume to half for now and added some real light weight tricep extensions just to get the muscles moving.

Thanks,

Jerry

braindx

Tendon/joint/connective soreness is the start of tendonitis/tendonosis type overuse injury.

If you back off and rest and do your mobility/massage/etc. and you will be fine. If you continually aggravate it will degenerate to chronic overuse.

Rest. WOrk your way back in slow.

Coach Sommer
Tendon/joint/connective soreness is the start of tendonitis/tendonosis type overuse injury ... If you back off and rest and do your mobility/massage/etc. and you will be fine ... If you continually aggravate it will degenerate to chronic overuse ... Rest ... Work your way back in slow.

Excellent advice.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Gerald Mangona

Got it. Too much too soon...I'm dropping the planche and lever work and sticking with support, handstand, L-sits, and inverted hangs along with FBE's until I've developed more strength. Waiting another 6-12 weeks for my support strength to solidify probably not a bad thing in the big scheme of things.

Thanks, guys.

Jerry