Elevated bridge

Started by Ali Hmeid, February 16, 2020 · 5 Replies · 4,668 Views

Ali Hmeid

Hi GB community,

I have been practicing the thoracic bridge series for one month. I am struggling at the elevated bridge hold on the stall bar.

I feel it so hard to elevate my upper back even when my legs are on the floor, it is much harder when i put my legs on the stall bar, I saw the decription video with the scaling but it doesn’t help.

I do have a poor shoulder flexion and tight traps and I am working on it.

I would like to understand why I can’t elevate myself, is it mobility related or strenght related ( I can hold handstand...) ?  

Alessandro Mainente
10 hours ago, Ali Hmeid said:

Hi GB community,

I have been practicing the thoracic bridge series for one month. I am struggling at the elevated bridge hold on the stall bar.

I feel it so hard to elevate my upper back even when my legs are on the floor, it is much harder when i put my legs on the stall bar, I saw the decription video with the scaling but it doesn’t help.

I do have a poor shoulder flexion and tight traps and I am working on it.

I would like to understand why I can’t elevate myself, is it mobility related or strenght related ( I can hold handstand...) ?  

Hi Ali, the problem is simple.

As you move the feet on the stall bar you are increasing the vertical component of weight and the exercise is more similar to a handstand pushup that requires much strength. possible solutions are:

1-lifting with feet on the floor and then walk up into the stall bar or

2-lift with feet on the floor and use your head as support...then walk upon the stall bar and finish the last part of the pushup from the headstand position or

3-use a wider stance of the hands in order to push up and then move them one closer to the other.

Ali Hmeid

Thank you for your help 

Frank Santasiero

If you have access to a spotter they can put their hands under your shoulders and help you get up in the position. Just don’t come crashing back down on your head.

Ali Hmeid

Thank you for thé tip, I am experiencing notable progress in my thoracic mobility.

 

I understand that shoulder’s flexion is essential but I was wondering why shoulder’s extension is related to the thoracic bridge ?

Ali 

 

Coach Sommer
6 hours ago, Ali Hmeid said:

I understand that shoulder’s flexion is essential but I was wondering why shoulder’s extension is related to the thoracic bridge ? 

 

For healthy joints and optimal range of motion it is important to train both sides of a joint.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer