This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Neck Pain

Started by Benjamin Dickinson, January 29, 2020 · 3 Replies · 48 Views

Benjamin Dickinson

I have read through some of the neck issues in the forum, but it doesn't seem to directly apply to me. I am in good shape and run to supplement gymnastics bodies training. Curious if anyone can help. 
 

I have been trying to progress slowly through the foundation 1 series. I did the 4 minute warm up and did not notice anything during the neck rolls. I did the 7 minute warm-up next and then moved onto abs. As i was holding the hollow position with my arms pointing towards my straddled feet; my neck just gave out. It has been 24 hours of pretty decent pain. Twisting my head is sore but not wicked. Looking down into a double-chin is pretty nasty. Sleep has been rough and i am worried more gentle stretching isn't helping. 
 

I have basically no health insurance, and i have a big trip in a week that this will not be fun doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Currently icing, massaging, epsom salt, turmeric, cbd, heat, rest, and zero carb to try to decrease inflammation. Thanks in advance

Alessandro Mainente
12 hours ago, Benjamin Dickinson said:

I have read through some of the neck issues in the forum, but it doesn't seem to directly apply to me. I am in good shape and run to supplement gymnastics bodies training. Curious if anyone can help. 
 

I have been trying to progress slowly through the foundation 1 series. I did the 4 minute warm up and did not notice anything during the neck rolls. I did the 7 minute warm-up next and then moved onto abs. As i was holding the hollow position with my arms pointing towards my straddled feet; my neck just gave out. It has been 24 hours of pretty decent pain. Twisting my head is sore but not wicked. Looking down into a double-chin is pretty nasty. Sleep has been rough and i am worried more gentle stretching isn't helping. 
 

I have basically no health insurance, and i have a big trip in a week that this will not be fun doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Currently icing, massaging, epsom salt, turmeric, cbd, heat, rest, and zero carb to try to decrease inflammation. Thanks in advance

Hey Benjamin, in this case, the approach is simple:

-when the phase is acute don't stretch

-use a scarf all day and night (neck responds well to a higher temperature)

-the pain should be better after 3-5 days. if not search for a PT.

-diet, in this case, has approximately zero effects.

Benjamin Dickinson

Thank you Alessandro!! I will rest it until the pain is not acute and resume training slowly after my trip to climb Kilimanjaro.

One last thing: do you have any recommendations for how to avoid this happening again after i slowly resume consistent training? 

Alessandro Mainente

Well, if it happens again you could have some tightness in the neck so probably you can check for a PT. meanwhile, if you understand what causes the problem try to avoid it.